Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-28-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Windows installer changes in 0.8.3

I saw a note in the changelog saying that the installer will now remember the installation folder for future installations. Does this mean that it will also remember the user-selected installation options, like not having a desktop icon created?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
For now, the windows installer only remembers the installation folder (it only stores this registry key info).
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
too bad. I would definitely prefer that it not keep adding an icon to my desktop!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Its strange; I have NEVER had any issues with the Calibre installer asking me for install info on upgrades OR creating new icons on the desktop!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Its strange; I have NEVER had any issues with the Calibre installer asking me for install info on upgrades OR creating new icons on the desktop!
That is because you use a default install
The problem arises when the user uses a Advanced Install'. Nothing was remembered from session to session.
Now, the Calibre program location will be remembered, preventing the accidental alternate location install. The next phase is to remember the other preferences, like no desktop Icon... (I move mine to the Quick Launch or pin to the Menubar in Ubuntu)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I saw a note in the changelog saying that the installer will now remember the installation folder for future installations. Does this mean that it will also remember the user-selected installation options, like not having a desktop icon created?
No only the install path. I found some code floating around on the net that showed how to do it for the IP, which enabled me to implement it in a couple of hours.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Okay, thanks.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No only the install path. I found some code floating around on the net that showed how to do it for the IP, which enabled me to implement it in a couple of hours.
Thanks for the improvement.

Feature Request: Only create a Desktop shortcut when doing an initial install or a custom install to a new location.

Set a flag when the installer encounters a pre-existing install location recorded in the Registry and it is installing to that location. Then later when it gets to the point of creating the Desktop icon test the state of the flag. If the flag has been set, skip creating the icon on the assumption that either one already exists or the user doesn't want one and has deleted the one from the original install.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I disagree - that seems over-complicated. A much better improvement will be to simply remember all the settings from the last install and make these the new default settings.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool another suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Thanks for the improvement.

Feature Request: Only create a Desktop shortcut when doing an initial install or a custom install to a new location.

Set a flag when the installer encounters a pre-existing install location recorded in the Registry and it is installing to that location. Then later when it gets to the point of creating the Desktop icon test the state of the flag. If the flag has been set, skip creating the icon on the assumption that either one already exists or the user doesn't want one and has deleted the one from the original install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I disagree - that seems over-complicated. A much better improvement will be to simply remember all the settings from the last install and make these the new default settings.
how about a checkbox on the install applet for 'install a deskop icon'?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I added code to remember all the remaining user controlled settings. Of course, that means that the stupid microsoft installer waits even longer at the start of the install saying its "Migrating features from related products". Sigh.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-29-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool wow

Quote:
I added code to remember all the remaining user controlled settings. Of course, that means that the stupid microsoft installer waits even longer at the start of the install saying its "Migrating features from related products". Sigh.
thanks for that, wow, i'm impressed (and grateful)!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
how about a checkbox on the install applet for 'install a deskop icon'?
There is already (and always has been as far as I can remember) the option to control this on the Advanced install option.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Personally, if it saves me the time to click through the advanced install settings to avoid having a desktop icon installed every time, I'm happy
Old 05-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Personally, if it saves me the time to click through the advanced install settings to avoid having a desktop icon installed every time, I'm happy
It isn't you I'm worried about, it's the annoying people that keep opening duplicate tickets telling me how the installer takes too long calculating free space.