Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-08-2022, 04:30 AM   #1
furious
furious began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Nokia T20 tablet turning off by itself after updating to Android 12

Nokia t20 was working fine - with the exception of the weak wifi connection when I'm downstairs.

Until it went from Android 11 to Android 12 a mere few weeks ago.
Since then I've had nothing but trouble.

The device was simply turning itself off, a mere minutes after I booted it up.

This morning it simply refused to boot up, despite having spent 20 minutes attempting to do so.

I've got a few photos I'd like to back up, and my email is signed in on it, and I can't even do a factory reset on it - hence I'm afraid of sending it back to the retailer I've purchased it from.

I'm also the same guy who's having major issues with my Kobo Libra 2 reader (touchscreen has gone completely unresponsive after the latest firmware update).

So that's 2 devices that were working fine, who have simultaneously become a nightmare thanks to software updates, leaving me absolutely livid.

I'm writing because I think it's unfair to have to deal with this, and aware potential customers to use this information and not waste their money on faulty-to-be devices.
furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 05:53 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Presumably it's really a TCL, who also have made Alcaltel since there was an real Alcatel selling phones.
Nokia still exists but rent out the brand.
RCA, Motorola and Akai don't exist though the brands appear.

Maybe recovery instructions for some other TCL label will work. Does the Factory reset of holding a volume button (if there are any) while pressing power work?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:30 AM   #3
furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Presumably it's really a TCL, who also have made Alcaltel since there was an real Alcatel selling phones.
Nokia still exists but rent out the brand.
RCA, Motorola and Akai don't exist though the brands appear.

Maybe recovery instructions for some other TCL label will work. Does the Factory reset of holding a volume button (if there are any) while pressing power work?
Yes, it's a barebone tablet but it has a metal casing and 4gb ram, 64gb memory space that I got just for Udemy/Youtube online classes. It cost me £135, which I thought was a fair price.

But you can tell they did not do much with this Android 12 update, and it is rather unprofessional of them to release a crippling firmware update like this.

I've not tried the hard manual reset yet, but I'll give it a go in a minute since it does have volume rockers. I've otherwise lost hope of making it boot up.

More hassle of returning 2 devices, to two different retailers, unexpectedly for me. I'm seething but there are worse things in life I suppose.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:41 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'm wary of updating version of Android on any device, though my Lenovo Yoga Tab (about £220) did it automatically the first time I switched on WiFi. Now I check settings if possible on a new thing before enabling WiFi.
There is little choice with Kindle upgrades and you can't go back.
Kobo lets you easily go back.
I was so fed up with Windows update breaking drivers and applications (just on same version of Windows) I have a spare less important Linux PC only used for a SCSI flat bed scanner and check out updates on that before main PC & laptop. So far in 6 years only GUI of Thunderbird "broke" by adopting latest Firefox GUI and ignoring desktop theme. Mozilla have totally list the plot. MS are not that much different to 30 years ago except now promote so called Cloud instead of desktop. I do have Win 10 on a VM and it was a pain to clean out the nonsense.
On Android you can download a tool from Playstore to expose real names of Apps and then when Android debugging enabled use Windows or Linux host (maybe Mac too?) to uninstall stupid OEM or Google installed garbage.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:19 AM   #5
furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'm wary of updating version of Android on any device, though my Lenovo Yoga Tab (about £220) did it automatically the first time I switched on WiFi. Now I check settings if possible on a new thing before enabling WiFi.
There is little choice with Kindle upgrades and you can't go back.
Kobo lets you easily go back.
I was so fed up with Windows update breaking drivers and applications (just on same version of Windows) I have a spare less important Linux PC only used for a SCSI flat bed scanner and check out updates on that before main PC & laptop. So far in 6 years only GUI of Thunderbird "broke" by adopting latest Firefox GUI and ignoring desktop theme. Mozilla have totally list the plot. MS are not that much different to 30 years ago except now promote so called Cloud instead of desktop. I do have Win 10 on a VM and it was a pain to clean out the nonsense.
On Android you can download a tool from Playstore to expose real names of Apps and then when Android debugging enabled use Windows or Linux host (maybe Mac too?) to uninstall stupid OEM or Google installed garbage.
My uncle's - 3-year-old - Samsung phone gave out, or rather became nigh on unusable after another one of those updates. Result? He had to resort to buy a new phone of course.

I've got a cheap Xiaomi Redmi 9 phone that's still on Android 11, I wasn't paranoid then but now I'm dismayed.

It seems these companies are pervading their planned obsolescence from hardware to hardware and software also.