Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I have to agree with the 600 as a possible better choice over the 505 and Opus. The Opus' lack of a proper cover is a great reason to never buy one. You'll have to read using the Opus without a cover and if you drop it, more chance for it to break. The 505 and 600 will have proper covers for better protection.
Just don't drop it then ! It's stupid to say "don't buy reader X", just for that. Not having the cover hindering you is quite a comfort actually.

To read pdf, sony is better choice it seams. Pdf support on the cybook is kind of lame. Didn't tried the sony, but it's said to be better.
And I have to second, 6" is really tiny for pdf. A reader with a bigger sceen is best.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
If you choose Opus, don't assume it will be able to do more in the future than in does now. Bookeen isn't known for speedy implementation of whatever they promise.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #18
superfrank
superfrank began at the beginning.

Device: cybook?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
If you choose Opus, don't assume it will be able to do more in the future than in does now. Bookeen isn't known for speedy implementation of whatever they promise.
I am going to try to get Sony 600 when it's out in Canada - thank you all
superfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:45 AM   #19
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
What's the point with all that bashing ?
Seriously drop it people !

I just hate that kind of attitude. Toward any company.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:05 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post

This "bashing" is based on past experience. It's not based on any hatred or dislike of Bookeen. Oh and is it Monday yet?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 04:07 AM   #21
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This "bashing" is based on past experience. It's not based on any hatred or dislike of Bookeen.
Yeah sure

And once again, what Krystian said is true with every company.

The only thing bookeen did wrong was telling what they planned to do way too soon. Then they don't say anything to avoid that from happening again, and people whine about no com...

Last edited by EowynCarter; 08-03-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:14 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah sure

And once again, what Krystian said is true with every company.
Actually, it's not true with Sony. Sony has never promised us specific features in a new firmware upgrade and then never delivered.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:21 AM   #23
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Actually, it's not true with Sony. Sony has never promised us specific features in a new firmware upgrade and then never delivered.
Yeah, and does sony tell anything of what will be in update ? Probably at the last moment right ?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:35 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah, and does sony tell anything of what will be in update ? Probably at the last moment right ?
But at least I'm not waiting for folder support that's been promised for way too long.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:42 AM   #25
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
But at least I'm not waiting for folder support that's been promised for way too long.
Once again, if you translate "we plan to" as "we promised" , your problem.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #26
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:

I'm not bashing. I'm warning potential buyers of Bookeen's lack of communication, and their inability to make their communicated "plans" a reality. I'm advising people to ignore Bookeen's information about the future based on my past experience with Bookeen. I don't say Gen3 or Opus are bad, they aren't. But if one buys them, one should not expect to be informed of the company's goals or future plans, and shouldn't buy with expectation of firmware updates.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #27
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
I'm not bashing. I'm warning potential buyers of Bookeen's lack of communication
Well, maybe Bookeen would communicate more if you didn't whine all over because you understood "we will" instead of "we plan to"...
Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well, maybe Bookeen would communicate more if you didn't whine all over because you understood "we will" instead of "we plan to"...
And there is just so long people are going to wait for "we plan to".
Old 08-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #29
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
In terms of bashing, the other problem with Bookeen is that they delivered a beta level product originally. There were buttons on the device that had no function. It took most of a minute to turn on and get back into the book I was reading. Once or twice per book I found that it would forget where I was reading and I had to manually page to get back to the same point (if there was no bookmark). And there were numerous other small annoyances, such as key presses that wouldn't always work. Although folders were a new feature, it felt like one of these problems because it was so slow to go from one page to the next and that meant it took me forever to page through my over 20 pages of books.

As an early adopter I can live with these glitches, but I do expect them to be fixed.

Now, I can't speak to Sony, but I now have a Kindle, and I can say that the K2 is much more of a final product. The K2 does not have the exact features the way that I want; however, it is complete. I won't be bashing the K2 if they never come out with a new update because at least all of the buttons on the unit work and they work everytime I press them. Furthermore, it only takes a few seconds to startup. I'm not saying Amazon is perfect, just look at their deleted book debacle with 1984, but I am saying their software is much more of a final product.

Finally, in terms of bashing: I do NOT believe in senseless whining about things you can not change. However, this forum is about sharing experiences and advice with others. We are trying to help each other make the best possible decisions with regard to their future purchases. If you ask me whether the software for the K2 or the Cybook works better then I have to give my honest answer. On the other hand, if you tell me your choice is Kindle or Cybook and that you live in Europe I will probably tell you that the Cybook is a better choice unless you are comfortable gaming the Amazon system (gift cards etc.).
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote