Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
superfrank
superfrank began at the beginning.

Device: cybook?
CyBook Opus -OR - Sony 505?

Greetings,

I've been wishing to buy an ebook reader from a LONG time. Being in Canada, the Kindle 2 wasn't a natural option from me.

After much thought and reading, I have reduced my choice to two:

Sony505 - around $380 total
Cybook Opus - around $325 total

My use:

1)Reading pdf file! This is a must. I have an entire collection of school work in pdf files. 70% of my work will be reading pdf files. The rest will be reading .txt or .doc (my own text) which, you guess, I can convert to pdf.
2)Small, lightweight, easy to use.
3)As many advanced functions - highlighting if possible, adding notes (dont think that's possible hehe)

I have read A LOT and I am tied, undecided between the two. These seems to be the best (without counting Kindle 2 but that's not an option here).

I remind I am in canada, so no kindle wi-fi for me.

Thank you for any help!
An avid reader.
superfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Sony PRS-300 and PRS-600 should be out shortly.

PDF support on the Opus isn't great. But then - PDFs on any 6" or 5" screen isn't going to be great. If you need to read a lot of letter/A4 size PDFs, neither one is really suitable for you.

More large-size eInk readers should be arriving in the next six months or so.

Perhaps your best option is to wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
Greetings,

I've been wishing to buy an ebook reader from a LONG time. Being in Canada, the Kindle 2 wasn't a natural option from me.

My use:

1)Reading pdf file! This is a must. I have an entire collection of school work in pdf files. 70% of my work will be reading pdf files. The rest will be reading .txt or .doc (my own text) which, you guess, I can convert to pdf.
3)As many advanced functions - highlighting if possible, adding notes (dont think that's possible hehe)

I have read A LOT and I am tied, undecided between the two. These seems to be the best (without counting Kindle 2 but that's not an option here).

Thank you for any help!
An avid reader.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
superfrank
superfrank began at the beginning.

Device: cybook?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Sony PRS-300 and PRS-600 should be out shortly.

PDF support on the Opus isn't great. But then - PDFs on any 6" or 5" screen isn't going to be great. If you need to read a lot of letter/A4 size PDFs, neither one is really suitable for you.

More large-size eInk readers should be arriving in the next six months or so.

Perhaps your best option is to wait?
Thanks for the advice! SRS-600 or SRS-300... Alright...

Just to be sure, I need something relatively small though. And not in the $600+ ballpark!

Thanks!
superfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I'm not sure about the prices you are looking at. Prices below are US $ -- I'm not sure what you quoted in your original email.

1)As mentioned the Sony 505 is probably being replaced this month by the prs-600 -- it will be 6". The 300 will be a 5 inch device. No one knows about the pricing on the two new units. However, while you can still buy the 505, you can usually find a deal to buy it for about $150 off if you apply for the Sony credit card. Actually, I expect that this credit card deal will be good on the new units also. Search in the deals forum to find details about it. There are also other deals available at various times on it. You should be able to find it under $250 in U.S. dollars.

2) Instead of the Opus, I would look to the EZReader Pocket Pro from Astak. It costs about $229. This recommendation is based on the price and the fact that I haven't been impressed with Bookeen's customer service. However, I must be honest on one factor: the Opus is now available, and the Pocket Pro won't be out until the end of this month.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
The above mentioned credit card deal is not available in Canada. shoprbc.com in Ottawa sells the 505 for CDN$ 295. Don't know how much shipping is.

I'm waiting to see what the 600 has to offer when it's released.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Greetings,

My use:

Thank you for any help!
An avid reader.
If those 2 are your final choice and PDF is a MUST: Don't go for Cybook Opus. You can check my thread, have got it yesterday.
For ePUB, it's a nice enough unit. For PDFs, it has its flaws.
Mainly, because the display is so small.
It doesn't reflow PDFs, it just zooms them. If the zoom is too small, the text simply "fades out".
For PDF, there are FAR better choices. iRex iLiad comes to mind, but Sony 505 is fine as well.

Concerning Kindle: I'm in Germany, no Whispernet for me either. But still I can operate my Kindles without problems.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:27 AM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I don't think either device will be all that great for reading PDF files, frankly. I have a 505 and I love it, but use it almost exclusively for reading LRF and ePub files.

But it really depends on how your PDFs are formatted. I'm assuming that they are formatted as a4 or letter size. If the PDFs are formatted to fit on the smaller screen, they'll look okay, but I'd lean toward to 505, just because the screen is bigger.

You might want to wait to see what the 600 has to offer if you'd like to make annotations. From everything I've seen, it looks like it'll have a touch screen which will probably allow annotations.

Good luck with your choice!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Maybe download calibre , it's free, and convert your pdf's to epub or LRF and then click on the view icon and pick the epub/LRF to view it from within calibre. What you see on the screen will be exactly what will be on the sony screen. When you download calibre when it asks you what ereader you have pick sony 505 and answer the questions as you would if you had the sony. That way it formats to sony format. Now you can in batch convert set the font sizes bigger or smaller to see which you like better. So you can play around with settings and see if your pdf's convert well or not.
Since Calibre is made to convert stuff to kindle2 and other devices you could take the same pdf and format it to the other formats and see how kindle2 or other devices would show that pdf converted on other devices.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Greetings,

My use:

Thank you for any help!
An avid reader.

Not to confuse you, but you should probably be looking at the Sony 300, which should be out shortly (based upon more information that is now being given to the media).

The 300 has a 5-inch screen, the same as the Opus.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You best choice is almost certainly the new Sony PRS-600, which is already listed for $299 in the US, see New Sony model to be called PRS-300 and PRS-600 (post #244 and the subsequent discussion). The PRS-700 was already the best PDF reader in a 6" device, but its screen was a bit fuzzy and its PDF zoom mode did not quite work. Both of these issues have probably been fixed in the PRS-600, which is clearly the follow-on to the PRS-700.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to agree with the 600 as a possible better choice over the 505 and Opus. The Opus' lack of a proper cover is a great reason to never buy one. You'll have to read using the Opus without a cover and if you drop it, more chance for it to break. The 505 and 600 will have proper covers for better protection.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to agree with the 600 as a possible better choice over the 505 and Opus. The Opus' lack of a proper cover is a great reason to never buy one. You'll have to read using the Opus without a cover and if you drop it, more chance for it to break. The 505 and 600 will have proper covers for better protection.
I'm sure that with the name and reach of Sony, there will be third party covers if not Sony covers. However, I do notice two things from J&R. The 300 comes with a sleeve (similar to the Opus), not a cover. The 600 does not mention either a sleeve or a cover. This may just be an oversight; however, I wonder if they left a cover off to keep the price point down.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
This may just be an oversight; however, I wonder if they left a cover off to keep the price point down.
I'm guessing yes it is left off on purpose. Since the Kindle2 went that way with very few complaints.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm guessing yes it is left off on purpose. Since the Kindle2 went that way with very few complaints.

BOb
But at least Amazon sold a cover to go with the K2 from day 1. The Opus doesn't have a cover available and if the 300 doesn't have a cover, it's a no go as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But at least Amazon sold a cover to go with the K2 from day 1. The Opus doesn't have a cover available and if the 300 doesn't have a cover, it's a no go as well.
Really, these 5 inch devices are so small they are very solid with no give or twist room. So, I'm guessing screen breakage on them is going to be very rare.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote