Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
Incriptus
Incriptus began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm too cheap to get something good, what can I settle for

This is my goal. I play table top RPG's with my friends. Sometimes I will be carrying around 6 to 8 full sized books with me. I would often like to bring more, but 6 to 8 are heavy enough as it is. I don't really need something for hardcore reading, or even recreational reading. I want it so I can use them as quick references. So attempting to see if there is an electronic solution to my probem.

So this is what I want.

1. I'm not spending more than 400 dollars on this.
2. The electronic versions of the books I have are all PDF's
3. It has to be big enough to read atleast a 1/2 page width on the screen at a viewable size.
4. Small and Light so it can be easily passed around. "See it says on page 114 of shadows of light that . . . "
5. Quick movement through pages. "I know there is a rule regarding that, its about 3/4 of the way throught the book"
6. [Probably doesn't exist] I would love to have it keep multiple documents open and easy to toggle between them.

Notebooks, Netbooks, and Tablet PC's tend to break rule #1, and usually #4.

I'm fairly sure I'm SOL but I figure I'd try
Incriptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
e-ink screnn have a slow refersh rate. Make then not adapted to shuffling through.
For what you want to do, netbooks, or a tactile cell phone will probably be best.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Definitely not in your price range, but I think the iRex DR1000S would suit you admirably. It is the only eInk device (to the best of my knowledge) which allows you to have multiple documents open and easily switch between them; it has good search facilities to allow you to find things, and so on. Unfortunately it costs a little more than US$400.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:54 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
The existing reading devices - especially e-ink ones - are best suited for linear reading. That is reading fiction (or other text-only books) from beginning to end page after page without skipping.

For referencing several books at once or searching through a content a netbook or a cheap second-hand notebook would be just perfect.

I personally would go for an old refurbished IBM Thinkpad, corporate model with titanium cage. They are built like tanks.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:01 AM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Used laptops. Or used notebooks. Both would work for your needs and your price range. Look for stripped down models. You certainly don't need a Pentium 4 quad core for reading PDF's.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 05:33 AM   #6
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
Get a used Eee pc, they are quite cheap. And pack decent battery backup too (the recent ones). One of the downsides with Laptops is the battery backup, so you better go for a netbook rather than a laptop.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 AM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Well, except for the small and light ...

If you are in the US, Walmart is now carrying a full-sized (15.6 inch screen) laptop for $298. 3GB RAM included. Load up foxit software for tabbed pdf browsing and you are set.

However, they are expected to go fast starting today July, 26.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

^^ That looks like a steal deal, damn its not here
Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I would think a netbook would seem to be the ideal-and I see plenty that are sub 400. I would also suggest an old/refurb laptop-but I think the netbooks would have better battery life than those....and lighter/easier to carry.
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Check this out; Click image for larger version

Name:	EEE.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	32980

ASUS 10" Eee PC 160GB Notebook Computerwith Windows XP Home - Black (1000HD)
price cut
List Price: $349.99
Price: $329.99
* 10" Notebook Computer with WSVGA LCD Display and 1024x600 Pixel Resolution
* Loaded with Windows XP Home, 160GB Hard Drive Capacity, Serial ATA Hard Drive Interface and 1GB DDR2, SO DIMM Memory
* 900 MHz Intel Celeron 353 Processor
* Built-In SD High Capacity Card Slot, Secure Digital Card Slot, MultiMediaCard (MMC)
* Line-In Jack, Memory Card Slot, USB 2.0, Headphone Jack, Microphone Jack, Ethernet Port, RJ-45 Port, Audio Jack, 3 USB Ports
* 802.11b/g Wireless Connectivity , 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN Network Card
* Intel UMA Graphics Card
* Internet Browser, Built-In Microphone, Instant Messaging, E-Mail Capabilities
* Software Included: Microsoft Works 9.0, Microsoft Live, Sun StarOffice, Free-Trial Anti-Virus Software, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Internet Explorer
* Also Includes Power Adapter, Battery, Operating Instructions
* Features Up To 5 Hours of Battery Life
* Also Features 1.3 Mega-Pixel Webcam
* 10.47 x 7.53 x 1.12 "; 3.09 Lb.
* 6-Month Warranty on Battery, 1-yr. Warranty

You may find it cheaper somewhere else.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
The jetBook can display PDF's fairly well and is $170. Page turn is fast and you can just to a page by inputting the number. However, depending on the size of your PDF's, I'm not sure if it will do a page in two views.

I have an Eee PC 901 that works quite well for books. It's relatively light (2.4 lbs) and runs less than $300. 8+ hours of battery if using it for reading, and you can set a PDF viewer to rotate a PDF so that you can read it sideways (holding the screen in portrait mode). A bit funny looking, but it works. Usually a page on the PDF can display completely on the 8.9" screen.

Out of your price range ($499), but Asus just released a tablet Eee (T91) that is very similar to the 901 but 1) Weights 2 lbs and 2) Has a rotating touch screen.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post

with Windows XP Home - Black (1000HD)

* 900 MHz Intel Celeron 353 Processor

* 10.47 x 7.53 x 1.12 "; 3.09 Lb.

You may find it cheaper somewhere else.
I wouldn't recommend this model... processor is the old Celeron type, thus low battery life, and it's relatively heavy. :P
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Prash
Zealot

If you want to get an Eee PC, get this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290329471986

Asus Eee PC 1005HA-P Seashell - amazing backup, and good performance. Should serve you best. Also features the Atom processor which should give you decent performance.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Yeah I agree with the others , I have an acer 8.9 netbook with 160 gig hard drive and can view pdf's pretty easily. The 505 is for viewing pdf's converted to epub/sony format , I can in table of contents go to chapter easy enough, but not searchable. 505 has 2-3 week battery life, netbook 2-3 hour battery life, both are cool and I like both. 200 for netbook and 150 for 505, so for 350 I can read my pdf's in way I like. I have been reading on netbooks, laptops, computers for years, but it's nice to be able to read for fun again on the 505. If you have laptop already get the 505. If you have no laptop or netbook, get a netbook. Or get both if you have 350 loose change.

Last edited by richman; 07-26-2009 at 01:39 PM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote