Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
kampang
kampang began at the beginning.

Device: none
Replacing my hanging sticky notes

Hi,

I am new to ebook reader device and also new to this forum.

I need to know what is the cheapest e-book reader device that is currently available or would be available shortly?

I am not an organized person when dealing with notes, especially cooking recipes Usually, I use that yellow Post-It and put it in a wall in my kitchen.

Well, that is not nice. I know.

So, I am thinking to buy ebook device to store those recipes and probably other documents like manuals, gardening tips, etc.

Of course I will write down all those notes into compatible format like PDF or if TEXT file is possible.

However, I am not a person who like reading books .... novel, fiction, etc. I prefer watching movie Well, probably in the future. But as of now, I just want to use the device for storing my own notes.

Because of this, I am thinking of just a basic e-ink device and I am having difficulty to find one.

Anyone can help? Is there any second hand market specialized for this kind of device?

Thanks for any advice

PS: I live in Europe.

Last edited by kampang; 07-23-2009 at 07:35 AM.
kampang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi kampang, welcome to MR!

I don't feel like I'm in a position to suggest specific device that will do what you want. There are lots of people around who can probably give you better advice than I can. If you don't get any suggestions here in "Introduce Yourself", try one of the more technical forums, like Which One Should I Buy?
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Truthfully, I'm not entirely convinced that it would be worth your money to buy an e-book reader if you don't want to put any actual books on it. Would you also want to put cookbooks on it? That might make it worth your money.

I'm not trying to rip on your idea; it sounds nifty, but unless you're going to put something else on it, any reader you got would probably seem very expensive and overpriced.

Have you considered a netbook? That way you would be able to store them all in a single spot and use the device for other stuff, too. Hope I've been helpful.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Check out evernote for replacing your yellow stickies. Its free software for your desktop or laptop.

I'm not sure about any electronic device in the kitchen. You'd want it to be protected from spills.

If you just want a cheap ebook reader I think the jetbook is the current cheapest. Look for it on sale at newegg as cheap as $160 in the U.S.. I'm not sure about delivery to Europe. In Europe I'd either look for used or possibly go for the Bebook.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
kampang
kampang began at the beginning.

Device: none
Talking

Hi,

Thanks for all your feedback.

Jetbook is indeed interesting, and I found from ebay.be for about 150 euro.
Cybook Opus also interesting ...

But honestly, I have never seen e-ink device in person I have not found one in store here in The Netherlands. Well, probably I dont know exactly where.

About content, of course I will put some ebooks in it, but probably just reference materials ... like computer programming books, dictionary, etc.

Anyway, I will wait some more months because if I read correctly there will be some more new devices released (Opus, Astak, etc.).
kampang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
I use a computer to organize my recipes. I print them out since I don't have a portable one.

Even a small binder would work great. You could just stick your post-it notes on blank pieces of paper. I still got one with cut out recipes glued on blank paper.

I think I would be worried about damaging an ereader while I'm cooking. If you do get one, make sure it has folder support. Otherwise it would be difficult to organize them.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote