Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #16
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetreader View Post
My question to Sony and Kindle owners: do you experience problems if you read your ebooks under the bright sun, say when you are on the beach? With the jebook the brighter the light the better the reading.
At least with my 505 I don't have any problems in the sun, I even was outside last night at 11pm , reading on a bench that had a street lamp above it, and it was easy to read, zoomed on max.
I think on some kindles they had a defect that was uv related, that it would fade under direct sunlight, but if you had that problem, you could send unit back to amazon.

Thanks Harry for the tip on Book Designer, I'll look into it, I would like more options for pdf conversions other than calibre.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #17
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OK, I'm going to through this out there.

Kindle DX

You don't say where you live, but if in the US I think it would meet your needs.

BOb
Well, he (I'm assuming on gender) put prices in pounds, so I would guess he's in Britain somewhere.

Personally, what I've heard of the Kindle DX tells me that it doesn't hold a penlight to the DR, and Amazon is still restricting them to the US anyway. The DR is very much worth its cost.

I see the DR as being the only true viable choice, regardless of Richman's insistence that it doesn't exist. The real question is does he pay for the niche product or not, and only the original poster can answer that for himself.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
Personally, what I've heard of the Kindle DX tells me that it doesn't hold a penlight to the DR, and Amazon is still restricting them to the US anyway.
Well, the kindle DX is $300 less than the DR1000S. So, there is that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #19
richman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post

I see the DR as being the only true viable choice, regardless of Richman's insistence that it doesn't exist. The real question is does he pay for the niche product or not, and only the original poster can answer that for himself.
Yeah, I guess I spoke with too much authority! Does sound like the 1000 can do pdf's right! It's just that for the orginal poster and me the 800 price tag was not worth it. My prs-505 150 and netbook 200 and laptop 300 and itouch 200 I think are reasonable, 1000s 800 dollars doesn't fall in line price wise with my other tech gear. But at 300 dollars I would go for it! The downside for me would be 13 hours battery life of the 1000, my prs-505 has 2 to 3 weeks, and that is one of the major reasons I got it, most of my other tech equipment only has a few hours battery life. It's nice not to have to worry about if I will run our of juice the next few days or weeks.(like I do with all my other tech gear)

Last edited by richman; 07-13-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #20
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
you need, of course, both! A DR1000 and a sony 505, if you are a self respecting techie.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #21
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
you need, of course, both! A DR1000 and a sony 505, if you are a self respecting techie.
Don't forget the top of the line laptop.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:19 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I wish...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:46 AM   #23
madmandegge
Enthusiast
madmandegge began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Quote:
This is very true, I've always been partial to macbooks!

I think I may go for the SmartQ 7, hopefully if I can get along with the LCD it should allow me to do everything I want if I crop the margins on the PDFs I'm viewing.

Watch this space...
madmandegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #24
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I am very happy with my 505.

Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #25
yangae
Yangae
yangae began at the beginning.

Device: None
indeed, the costs of iRex is above my budget, though i must admit they are more than just an e-reader. Perhaps waiting out for newer devices and more choices may be the better option, especially since i lived in singapore.
thanks.
yangae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 AM   #26
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Love my 505! However, I would like to have a 10" screen for reading the paper every morning, I could read today's paper from Germany or the US. Tried it on the 505, it is possible, but sheer torture. Magazines also would be an option. And I could still read books on it and PDF files without too much trouble. But I am holding out for a reader with WiFi. Maybe the Plastic Logic. My wife would be happy to take the 505 off my hands.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #27
richman
Addict

Quote:
Love my 505! However, I would like to have a 10" screen for reading the paper every morning, I could read today's paper from Germany or the US. Tried it on the 505, it is possible, but sheer torture. Magazines also would be an option. And I could still read books on it and PDF files without too much trouble. But I am holding out for a reader with WiFi. Maybe the Plastic Logic. My wife would be happy to take the 505 off my hands.
Me too! 10 inch screen would be cool with wi-fi. As to the news sites, have you used calibre to fetch them and load them onto your 505 in morning synch. It works for me, it has table of contents for the papers , so I just click on any story that looks good, and I set it up for font sizes that work for me. Now when I first downloaded them, it did look like mess. So you do have to set it up right, and once I found out about table of contents and could scan stories I thought would be good, all was COOL. At least for now you could read newspapers , but not on 10 inch screen.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #28
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by richman View Post
Me too! 10 inch screen would be cool with wi-fi.
Sounds like you're the target audience for the supposedly upcoming apple tablet
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #29
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by richman View Post
Me too! 10 inch screen would be cool with wi-fi. As to the news sites, have you used calibre to fetch them and load them onto your 505 in morning synch. It works for me, it has table of contents for the papers , so I just click on any story that looks good, and I set it up for font sizes that work for me. Now when I first downloaded them, it did look like mess. So you do have to set it up right, and once I found out about table of contents and could scan stories I thought would be good, all was COOL. At least for now you could read newspapers , but not on 10 inch screen.
Tried all that, but the experience wasn't what I am looking for. Have a look at the demo on the Irex website for the newsreader that comes with the DR1000S. That is what I am looking for. However, I do not want to fire up my computer before breakfast and have to sync it to the reader.

As for the apple tablet, I don't think they have an e-reader screen in mind. If it is just a regular LCD tablet I am not interested.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:16 AM   #30
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
My question to Sony and Kindle owners: do you experience problems if you read your ebooks under the bright sun, say when you are on the beach? With the jebook the brighter the light the better the reading.
I have both KDX and the Sony 505. No issues with sunfading as far as I can tell.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote