Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-31-2018, 02:09 AM   #1186
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Charles River Editors, free

William Lloyd Garrison: The Life and Legacy of 19th Century America’s Most Prominent Abolitionist

The Sino-Japanese Wars: The History and Legacy of the Early 20th Century Conflicts that Made Japan the Dominant Power in Asia

Niels Bohr: The Life and Legacy of the Influential Atomic Scientist

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/?url=search-al...+river+editors
Somehow I got "cheated" out of The Sino-Japanese Wars: The History and Legacy of the Early 20th Century Conflicts that Made Japan the Dominant Power in Asia.

Anyway, substituting ".com" for ".co.uk" worked.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:06 AM   #1187
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Niels Bohr was Olivia Newton-John's maternal grandfather!
According to Wikipedia it was actually Max Born, not Niels Bohr. Her mother was born Born.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2018, 10:33 PM   #1188
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks artig! I guess I'm not surprised that I confused the two.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:53 PM   #1189
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Free at University of Chicago Press:

One Hour in Paris: A True Story of Rape and Recovery is our free e-book for November. Karyn L. Freedman returns to a Paris night in 1990 when she was twenty-two and, in one violent hour, her life was changed forever by a brutal rape. What follows is a harrowing yet optimistic journey. Freedman’s book is a moving look at how survivors cope and persevere. She weaves together her personal experience and the latest neuroscientific and psychological insights on what it means to live in a body that has been traumatized; she looks at the history of psychological trauma and draws on research on posttraumatic stress disorder to show how recovery from horrific experiences is possible. Please read One Hour in Paris free in November.

“In her brave and compelling memoir … [Freedman] uses her keen intellect and in-depth knowledge of trauma to unravel the complexity of rape, and to make sense of the imprint it has made on her life, and on the lives of so many others.”—National Post

From our Journals Division: For further discussion on the trauma of sexual violence, read this month’s free journal article, “Remapping the Event: Institutional Discourses and the Trauma of Rape,” from Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:39 AM   #1190
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post

One Hour in Paris: A True Story of Rape and Recovery is our free e-book for November. Karyn L. Freedman returns to a Paris night in 1990 when she was twenty-two and, in one violent hour, her life was changed forever by a brutal rape. What follows is a harrowing yet optimistic journey. Freedman’s book is a moving look at how survivors cope and persevere. She weaves together her personal experience and the latest neuroscientific and psychological insights on what it means to live in a body that has been traumatized; she looks at the history of psychological trauma and draws on research on posttraumatic stress disorder to show how recovery from horrific experiences is possible. Please read One Hour in Paris free in November.

“In her brave and compelling memoir … [Freedman] uses her keen intellect and in-depth knowledge of trauma to unravel the complexity of rape, and to make sense of the imprint it has made on her life, and on the lives of so many others.”—National Post

From our Journals Division: For further discussion on the trauma of sexual violence, read this month’s free journal article, “Remapping the Event: Institutional Discourses and the Trauma of Rape,” from Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society.
I've gotten to the point in life that it is hard for me to read about, or watch, violence of any kind. Is that a natural companion to getting older?

It seems so to me. One anecdotal piece of evidence is that I don't see older people reading magazines such as True Crime in the checkout lane at the grocery, magazine racks at whatever big-box stores are left nowadays, et al, but I do see younger people doing so. Another piece of anecdotal evidence is that I, when I much younger, used to love watching, on TV for example, war movies with some pretty graphic scenes; I loved it to see, on TV and movies, people of the Axis powers [I'm saying that, instead of mentioning specific countries, in order to try to avoid bringing up or discussing political matters, which is not allowed on this website] in WWII getting blown up, shot (ideally shot to death), et al. No more, even though I know that in the movies (excepting the documentaries) never one is ever really killed or even hurt.

Then there is the subgenre of horror flicks. I never was a big fan of them, but I got some (possibly perverse) enjoyment out of Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween I, II, III . . . . (ever how many [Southern slang] there were of that franchise) and watched them several times each.

If my theory is correct, and you are a younger person, I suggest that you read much of the non-fiction, having some redeeming value, that you can about matters involving violence, such as this book that badgoodDeb posted. Let it make a strong impression on you now. Because, again, if my theory is correct, most of you will have no stomach for it when you get older (I don't mean old, but older).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-02-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Advert
Old 11-02-2018, 12:49 AM   #1191
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post

I've gotten to the point in life that it is hard for me to read about, or watch, violence of any kind. Is that a natural companion to getting older?

It seems so to me. One anecdotal piece of evidence is that I don't see older people reading magazines such as True Crime in the checkout lane at the grocery, magazine racks at whatever big-box stores are left nowadays, et al, but I do see younger people doing so. Another piece of anecdotal evidence is that I, when I much younger, used to love watching, on TV for example, war movies with some pretty graphic scenes; I loved it to see, on TV and movies, people of the Axis powers [I'm saying that, instead of mentioning specific countries, in order to try to avoid bringing up or discussing political matters, which is not allowed on this website] in WWII getting blown up, shot (ideally shot to death), et al. No more, even though I know that in the movies (excepting the documentaries) never one is ever really killed or even hurt.

Then there is the subgenre of horror flicks. I never was a big fan of them, but I got some (possibly perverse) enjoyment out of Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween I, II, III . . . . (ever how many [Southern slang] there were of that franchise) and watched them several times each.

Maybe some of it has to do with the fact that relatives and friends have experienced some violence and other tragedies in their lives. So have I--even to the point of having experienced an amputation (not by a chainsaw, thankfully) of a limb (I'll be all right, thank you). There is not one thing entertaining about that. Nothing.

If my theory is correct, and you are a younger person, I suggest that you read much of the non-fiction, having some redeeming value, that you can about violence, such as this book that badgoodDeb posted). Let it make a strong impression on you now. Because, again, if my theory is correct, most of you will have no stomach for it when you get older (I don't mean old, but older).
Old 11-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #1192
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I loved it to see, on TV and movies, people of the Axis powers [I'm saying that, instead of mentioning specific countries, in order to try to avoid bringing up or discussing political matters, which is not allowed on this website]
Germany, Italy, Japan. Let's not be absurd.

Unless you were being ironic and making a commentary on policy at MR, in which case you can take it to the Feedback forum. In any case, discussing something by not discussing it is to be eschewed.

ETA: I hadn't read all the way through your post when I responded and I'm deeply sorry to learn of your loss of limb. Good luck to you.

Last edited by issybird; 11-02-2018 at 10:29 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #1193
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I'm 61 (or as I call it, 29 base 26. Few know the math to translate that.). I've felt an Obligation to read Holocaust stories -- never the fiction ones, but true ones. And while I may not get far in the above book on rape, it's the same feeling. That I *ought* to read it, as a fellow woman.

I've given up on reading romances (since I have none) but mostly read police procedurals. They discuss violence, but the book is mainly about how to solve the case. I like those.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:52 AM   #1194
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Am 62 . I don't like to read about Violence or War . Just too many killings . Don't even watch the news when its about War, find it too depressing. I will read the news so I am not uninformed . I like Historical and Sagas and adventure stories etc.`i read a bit more nonfiction now.
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #1195
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
Am 62 . I don't like to read about Violence or War . Just too many killings . Don't even watch the news when its about War, find it too depressing. I will read the news so I am not uninformed . I like Historical and Sagas and adventure stories etc.`i read a bit more nonfiction now.
When it comes to war, I like true stories of heroism, and people who overcome great odds. Two recent movies that illustrate this, are "Monuments Men" which I enjoyed, and "Inglorious Basterds", which I did not.

I'm still 13 at heart, so I love science fiction, alternate history, but now, I require bigger ideas and more believable characters.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #1196
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
I also get enough violence from the news. I don't like to read about rape, missing children etc.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #1197
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Definitely a little quirky, but it has really great ratings at Amazon and GoodReads.

It's the 114-page Classical Me, Classical Thee: Squander Not Thine Education., by Rebekah Merkle. It's published by an obscure (at least to me) publisher with the name of "Canon Press."

It's free if you have Kindle Unlimited, and free for everyone else, right now, too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591282098/.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-03-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #1198
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared Diamond has dropped to $2.99 at Kindle and Kobo US.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H0M8EA
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/col...evised-edition

Spoiler:
Quote:
In Jared Diamond’s follow-up to the Pulitzer-Prize winning Guns, Germs and Steel, the author explores how climate change, the population explosion and political discord create the conditions for the collapse of civilization

Environmental damage, climate change, globalization, rapid population growth, and unwise political choices were all factors in the demise of societies around the world, but some found solutions and persisted. As in Guns, Germs, and Steel, Diamond traces the fundamental pattern of catastrophe, and weaves an all-encompassing global thesis through a series of fascinating historical-cultural narratives. Collapse moves from the Polynesian cultures on Easter Island to the flourishing American civilizations of the Anasazi and the Maya and finally to the doomed Viking colony on Greenland. Similar problems face us today and have already brought disaster to Rwanda and Haiti, even as China and Australia are trying to cope in innovative ways. Despite our own society’s apparently inexhaustible wealth and unrivaled political power, ominous warning signs have begun to emerge even in ecologically robust areas like Montana.

Brilliant, illuminating, and immensely absorbing, Collapse is destined to take its place as one of the essential books of our time, raising the urgent question: How can our world best avoid committing ecological suicide?

As alluded to below, I loved reading Collapse, as well as Diamond's perhaps better known (and Pulitizer prize winning) Guns, Germs and Steel, and a couple of other titles of his that I have read. So I highly recommend grabbing this at $2.99 while you can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Ditto! Also love Diamond's Collapse, which goes on sale from time to time as well, and is equally thought provoking. I live near UCLA, where Diamond is a prof, and have had the chance to hear him give a lecture in person - very engaging, as you would expect.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #1199
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared Diamond has dropped to $2.99 at Kindle and Kobo US.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H0M8EA
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/col...evised-edition
I'll bite. Thanks!
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:55 PM   #1200
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I hope you like it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I'll bite. Thanks!
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote