Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-19-2016, 11:59 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
April 2016 Discussion: Red Mars (spoilers)

The time has come to discuss the April 2016 MobileRead Book Club selection, Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. What did you think?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-19-2016 at 11:20 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let you know after I read 12% more of the book.
Advert
Old 04-20-2016, 01:11 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Still slogging through it. But honestly, it feels like that.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:24 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm not yet finished. But I will chime in once I am.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I woke up this morning with 7% left to go. I plan to finish it today.
Advert
Old 04-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I woke up this morning with 7% left to go. I plan to finish it today.
You will be done before me. My in-laws are moving and I've not had as much time to read as I'd like.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I'm now at 99%. I just finished what I think is the penultimate chapter, and it was probably the longest in the book.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Finally finished a while ago. This book was long and seemed long. The characters were well-drawn, and...
Spoiler:
... I thought the resolution of Frank was well played. His guilt was never discovered, but he did die a hero. Of all the characters, his was the most complex. Hero, villain, self-serving, self-sacrificing, murderer, and savior, he played all those roles.
I did think the editing could have been tighter, and the overall length either reduced or broken into two books; probably both.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
This book was long and seemed long.
I completely agree with that. I kept finding excuses to not read which is not a good sign.

I also agree that Frank's character was the most interesting, although I don't think he really redeemed himself. I keep wondering how things would have turned out if he hadn't been actively trying to gain influence and cause problems for John. Or even if he hadn't gone off the deep end after John's murder and abandoned everything for so long. He really left a hole that the transnats were more than willing to fill.

Of the other characters, Nadia was my favorite POV character despite being fairly one dimensional. All of the others just irritated me. Maya, Ann, Sax, Phyllis, etc. Although Ann's POV did lessen my dislike for her. The other POV characters all reinforced it.

I thought the last 1/3 was very good and wished we would have gotten there sooner. The ending wasn't satisfying at all as the end to a complete story, this was obviously always intended to be the first in a series.

The obvious social commentary that corporations are becoming too powerful and politicians are dirty feels very at home right now and in this US election cycle especially.

In the end, the last 1/3 of the book convinced me to read the next book not because of any of the characters, I really don't care about any of them, but because I want to see how the Martian society as a whole develops and gets some freedom from UNOMA/transnat control.
Spoiler:
I am assuming that he will somehow get the Martians under their own rule and am interested in seeing how he achieves that. I suspect that it will be a compromise between the Martians and the corporations - the Martians will provide resources to the transnats/Earth in return for being left alone to do their own thing.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I concede defeat. I just can't seem to manage to finish this thing. I pick it up, read 10 or 20 minutes, something interrupts, and when I come back, I read something else cause I just can't manage to care about this book. It's too long and tedious. At 300, or even 400, pages, it would have been a tight and interesting book.

Final rating: 2 Stars, and abandoned.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:09 PM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

And another thing. What is UNOMA? If it was explained in the book, I surely missed it. Wikipedia says it stands for United Nations Organization Mars Authority, but an online review of the book says it stands for United Nations Office of Martian Affairs.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:40 PM   #12
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I want to say it was the first one, Mars Authority, but I already returned my copy to the library so I can't look it up to be sure. I do remember wondering what the acronym stood for several times, it would have helped if he had re-stated it a couple more times.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:21 AM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

United Nations Office of Martian Affairs. I finally found the reference. On page 165 there is a reference to the "U.N. Office of Martian Affairs in New York". Then starting on page 166 every subsequent reference is simply to "UNOMA".
Old 04-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #14
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I feel that an interesting general theme of the book is that all human beings--even those, who in this case, were selected as paragons--share the inner darkness of humanity and are deeply fallible. Human society fails and fragments because of the intrinsic nature of people.

I would agree that the book seriously needed editing but improved in the later sections.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 04-26-2016 at 06:09 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #15
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I think this review is fairy even-handed. One of the points made regarding the dated international political situation is immediately apparent but some of the other contrivances are more serious. On the other hand there is recognition of some very effective imaginative qualities.

Personally, outside of Nadia, I found most of the characters unsympathetic. I don't think I'll read the next two books in the near future.

http://www.complete-review.com/revie...ks/redmars.htm

Last edited by fantasyfan; 04-27-2016 at 10:33 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote