Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-15-2022, 03:05 PM   #1
CyberPaul
Groupie
CyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage - Tolino Vision 4 HD - Kobo Sage
Converting epubs to kepub format when sending to a folder device

Hi,
I'd like to know if it is possible to convert epubs to kepub format "on the fly" when I send them to a folder device, as I do with the physical kobo device.
Also, I noticed that when I convert individually the ebooks, they got the .kepub file extension; that is making them not readable from the kobo, unless they are not renamed. Would it be possible to have the proper extension (.kepub.epub) without having to rename every single file?
Just to clarify, my intention is to put already converted kepub files into a dropbox folder so that I can get them directly from the cloud if needed.
CyberPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:30 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
At this point, the KoboTouchExtended driver only works when sending to a Kobo ereader. You could use the Kepub Output plugin but that will store the kepubs in the calibre library.

The few times I've wanted to do a save to disk and convert to kepub, I used calibre to save to disk and then ran kepubify on the output folder to generate the kepub.epub files. I used a batch file with "kepubify --inplace --update path/to/directory. The --update meant I could recycle the directory without reconverting and the --inplace keeps kepubify from adding -converted to the file name.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2022, 08:41 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@CyberPaul: Not without writing some code.

You can get calibre to convert the epubs to kepub by changing configuration of the Folder Device Interface. In the list of formats, move "kepub" to the top and deselect epub and any other format that you want converted to kepub. After that, when you send a book to the folder, if you do not already have a kepub version, it will convert the book to kepub and then do the send.

After that, you will still need to do the rename. The built-in KoboTouch and KoboTouchExtended driver have code to handle this because both know the books are going to a Kobo device. The Folder Device does not know this, and hence does not have anything to handle the extension change. And I'm not sure it should.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:39 AM   #4
CyberPaul
Groupie
CyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheese

Well, I think it should. There is no point in having a kepub without the right extension. After all the objective is to make it readable by the physical ereader. But also on a PC or a Mac, usuall software readers can manage epubs, not kepubs.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:44 AM   #5
CyberPaul
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At this point, the KoboTouchExtended driver only works when sending to a Kobo ereader. You could use the Kepub Output plugin but that will store the kepubs in the calibre library.

The few times I've wanted to do a save to disk and convert to kepub, I used calibre to save to disk and then ran kepubify on the output folder to generate the kepub.epub files. I used a batch file with "kepubify --inplace --update path/to/directory. The --update meant I could recycle the directory without reconverting and the --inplace keeps kepubify from adding -converted to the file name.
Thanks!
This is interesting: is that command going recursively within the subfolders? Am I going to have just .kepub.epub files in the folder(s)?
Advert
Old 05-16-2022, 04:41 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
Thanks!
This is interesting: is that command going recursively within the subfolders? Am I going to have just .kepub.epub files in the folder(s)?
The batch file I use was posted a while back for kepubify 3 but still works with 4

Basically, I have a directory called kepubify in which the kepubify.exe and the kepubconvert.cmd batch file are found. I save to disk in a subdirectory called Epub in the kepubify directory. There is also a subdirectory called Kepub where the converted books end up. The directory structure in the kepub directory will match the structure of the epub directory after the conversion. I renamed the kepubify executable to kepubify.exe since I only keep the 64 bit version. The %~dp0 looks a bit odd but it gives the file path from which the batch file was launched.

kepubify
|--kepubconvert.cmd
|--kepubify.exe
|--Epub
|--Kepub

contents of kepubconvert.cmd:

Code:
@echo OFF
setlocal enableextensions

set source=%~dp0Epub
set target=%~dp0Kepub

set binpath=%~dp0kepubify.exe
set options=--update --inplace

echo EPUB Dir       %source%
echo KEPUB Dir      %target%
echo Program        %binpath%
echo Options        %options%

timeout 10

"%binpath%" %options% --output "%target%" "%source%"

endlocal
pause
Old 05-17-2022, 07:45 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'm curious. Why when Kobos are perfectly supported in Calibre as a USB device and ONLY Kobo use kepub would you want to to use kepub to folder?
I only use Calibre viewer on PC and on Android I installed Kobo app out of curiosity. I use KOReader, Lithium or Aldiko Basic on various Android eInk, tablets and phones.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:53 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'm curious. Why when Kobos are perfectly supported in Calibre as a USB device and ONLY Kobo use kepub would you want to to use kepub to folder?
I only use Calibre viewer on PC and on Android I installed Kobo app out of curiosity. I use KOReader, Lithium or Aldiko Basic on various Android eInk, tablets and phones.
For me, I was playing with using cloud storage to download to Kobo's app not to an ereader.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:06 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
For me, I was playing with using cloud storage to download to Kobo's app not to an ereader.
But doesn't the app run on physical hardware that Calibre can manage? But I understand the idea of experimenting.

Cloud Storage = Someone else's server.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:46 AM   #10
CyberPaul
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I said my goal in my first message:
Quote:
Just to clarify, my intention is to put already converted kepub files into a dropbox folder so that I can get them directly from the cloud if needed.
Old 05-21-2022, 02:53 PM   #11
CyberPaul
Groupie

Quote:
The batch file I use was posted a while back for kepubify 3 but still works with 4...CUT
Thanks, you are very kind!
What if I run it a second time? Would it be possible to convert just new ebooks not yet converted?
Old 05-21-2022, 07:53 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Thanks, you are very kind!
What if I run it a second time? Would it be possible to convert just new ebooks not yet converted?
The --update option keeps already converted files from being reconverted (assumes that kepub is still in the output directory).
Old 05-23-2022, 03:31 AM   #13
CyberPaul
Groupie

Quote:
The --update option keeps already converted files from being reconverted (assumes that kepub is still in the output directory).
does it assumes or checks?

Last edited by CyberPaul; 05-23-2022 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:26 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
does it assumes or checks?
The assumes was in reference to the kepub being in the output directory. Otherwise, it does not exist for the purposes of this discussion. If kepubify does not find the output file, it will reconvert.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:49 AM   #15
CyberPaul
Groupie

Clear, thanks again