Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-12-2022, 10:34 PM   #1
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast
HappyCalibreUser began at the beginning.

Device: none
New Computer: Need to Relink to Library

I'm not sure exactly how to ask this, but I'll try.

New Mac mini
Macmin 9,1
Chip: Apple M1
# of Cores: 8 (4 performance and 4 efficiency)
Mem 16GB

The spouse had to replace my old computer with a brand new one.

She used the Time Machine to reload the new computer. I only use the apps on my computer but keep all the data stored separately on plug-in drives.

Everything is working as it should, passwords, etc.

Calibre Library started up exactly like a fresh, never before used app on the new computer. And doesn't recognize the old library on the plug-in drive. I'm sure I'm overlooking how to reconnect it.

I'm hoping not to have to use something like “add books' to this new library and rebuild all the old changes I made to that library form, if that's possible? I'll certainly start over if I need to.

I'm been looking til I got a headache but only finding links like:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=172988

and

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=316655

Am I asking the question the wrong way? Is that why I haven't found the right answer?

I'm going to have to go to bed now, so if I get a response before I return, I'm not ignorning anyone.
HappyCalibreUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:12 AM   #2
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I have a new Mac mini but I store my books on the hard drive. I’m out of town and can’t look now but there should be like a file open command in the headers that will allow you to open an external source. Once I deleted my books of my computer and had them all stored on thumb drives, but that was a pain so I put them back on the machine. But I was able to load from a pull down file open type command. Don’t expect it to automatically recognize the library. Tell it to open it then you should get a window to specify the path to get to it.

Edit: I just checked the calibre website. Look at the “Library” menu at the top it will allow you to do this:

“Switch/create library…: Allows you to; a) connect to a pre-existing calibre library at another location, b) create an empty library at a new location or, c) move the current library to a newly specified location”

Last edited by drofgnal; 05-13-2022 at 06:18 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2022, 08:31 AM   #3
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast
HappyCalibreUser began at the beginning.

Edit: I just checked the calibre website. Look at the “Library” menu at the top it will allow you to do this:

“Switch/create library…: Allows you to; a) connect to a pre-existing calibre library at another location, b) create an empty library at a new location or, c) move the current library to a newly specified location”[/QUOTE]

Thank you, drofgnal. And you are right. That was exactly what I needed to do. Everything is working exactly as it should now.

I was sure it would be something simple but I couldn't get my mind wrapped around it to see it last night.
HappyCalibreUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:11 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The most likely reason it didn't work at first was most likely due to the drive letter on the plug-in drive being different to what it was on the previous computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:19 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The most likely reason it didn't work at first was most likely due to the drive letter on the plug-in drive being different to what it was on the previous computer.
Not quite - Macs don't have "drive letters" they have "names".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCalibreUser View Post
. . .

New Mac mini
Macmin 9,1
Chip: Apple M1
# of Cores: 8 (4 performance and 4 efficiency)
Mem 16GB

. . .
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert