Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #16
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by 413Michele View Post
Of course, you're right. I have simply never seen an ebook with per-chapter notes till now and I wasn't sure what you meant. This is surely an option I'll consider.
And per-chapter footnotes is the vast majority I see.

One of the biggest advantages is keeping everything together in a single HTML file.

(This is extremely helpful when converting to different formats or moving to alternate locations... like a website.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, there are still eBook readers (humans, that is) that prefer to have the footnotes at the bottom of the related screen.
I haven't messed with KOReader too much—because I find the Android version extremely clunky compared to the alternates—but Jellby told me about the functionality.

I think KOReader's setting is called "in-page footnotes". Looks something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	KOReader.-.In-page.Footnotes.png
Views:	205
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	190879

Not aware of any actual ereader that has such functionality though.

Most just have popup footnotes (Kobo, Kindle, etc.) or just plain ol' links to jump back/forth.

But if you KISS, all that footnote stuff is much more likely to work across devices/apps.

And using the EPUB3 code, theoretically, might allow some reader in the future to toggle an "ignore <aside> footnotes". (Again, I'm not aware of any that actually has this setting, but it could happen.)

Side Note: And for anyone who runs across this in the future... currently, EPUB3 (EPUB3.2) only allows epub:type:
  • footnote
  • endnote

and allows them to be wrapped in a <section> or <div> with epub:type:
  • footnotes
  • endnotes

All other older epub:type methods are deprecated:
  • note
  • rearnote
  • rearnotes
  • annotation

See:

https://idpf.github.io/epub-vocabs/structure/#notes

(And if converting EPUB->Kindle, I have no idea how Kindle Previewer handles these.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Personally, I'm an endnote preferrer as a reader, but yes, the more and greater options we can give our readers, the better off we are, in terms of reader engagement and satisfaction. I try hard not to force my own preferences on the innocent victims. LOL.
I hate when I'm reading an ebook, thinking I have so much further to go, and all of a sudden it just "ends 20% short".

Spread those notes out! Then you'll get more accurate progress % + time estimates!

It reminds me of those books that toss in a whole extra "free preview" after the final chapter/Epilogue! I think I still have a ton more to go, and then the ebook just... ends.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 12-17-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #17
413Michele
Enthusiast
413Michele began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post

I hate when I'm reading an ebook, thinking I have so much further to go, and all of a sudden it just "ends 20% short".
In theory that's what linear=no is for, it's a pity that the support is what it is
413Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert