Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-07-2017, 02:38 AM   #16
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
I added the TOC Semantics, but SRL isn't even listed among the choices on my Sigil KindleGen plugin, even though I still get a SRL error. I just ignored the error and published it.
SRL (Start Reading Location) is an Amazon KDP term. There is no SRL menu option in Sigil; you'll have to select Add Semantics... > Body Matter for epub3 books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines 2017.2
Publishers do not need to define a start reading location because Amazon does this during the upload process.
Since Amazon KDP apparently no longer requires it, you can ignore this warning.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #17
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I added the TOC Semantics, but SRL isn't even listed among the choices on my Sigil KindleGen plugin, even though I still get a SRL error. I just ignored the error and published it.
The "semantic" for SRL is "text".

I don't set the SRL because the Amazon publishing workflow seems to reset it at page one, chapter one. I prefer that the book open at the cover, and about three-quarters of my books presently do that, at least on Look Inside.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #18
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
The "semantic" for SRL is "text".

I don't set the SRL because the Amazon publishing workflow seems to reset it at page one, chapter one. I prefer that the book open at the cover, and about three-quarters of my books presently do that, at least on Look Inside.
Yes, it does seem like a really redundant thing. I should try applying it to the last page, just for kicks.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #19
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Yes, it does seem like a really redundant thing. I should try applying it to the last page, just for kicks.
That's probably why Amazon over-rides the SRL. If we could do that, every book in the KU lending library would earn half a cent for every page in the book, regardless of how many were actually read.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:47 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
That's probably why Amazon over-rides the SRL. If we could do that, every book in the KU lending library would earn half a cent for every page in the book, regardless of how many were actually read.
From what I have been told, if a KU loan is opened and then skipped to the last page, not only does the author not get paid for that copy of the book being "read", they can and will be penalized for the reader's actions. Those algorithms can get pretty nasty.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:40 AM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
From what I have been told, if a KU loan is opened and then skipped to the last page, not only does the author not get paid for that copy of the book being "read", they can and will be penalized for the reader's actions. Those algorithms can get pretty nasty.
They are certainly intensely aware of it. I don't know the how any longer--for a long time, yes it was practically a given that they'd beat the crap out of you for any suspicious action.

They've definitely, patently and clearly updated those algos. I don't know how they wrote it, but it's obviously managed/tracked/identified differently now (KU abuse, I mean).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:10 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
They are certainly intensely aware of it. I don't know the how any longer--for a long time, yes it was practically a given that they'd beat the crap out of you for any suspicious action.

They've definitely, patently and clearly updated those algos. I don't know how they wrote it, but it's obviously managed/tracked/identified differently now (KU abuse, I mean).

Hitch
If you keep WiFi off, does all the KU pages read then be sent to Amazon if you do turn WiFi on at some later time?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:02 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you keep WiFi off, does all the KU pages read then be sent to Amazon if you do turn WiFi on at some later time?
Oh, yes, I think you can safely assume that's a given. How else could they ever make it work?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:26 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Oh, yes, I think you can safely assume that's a given. How else could they ever make it work?

Hitch
How does a Kindle differentiate between a KU eBook and a regular eBook or does Amazon get sent all of what's read?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:31 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How does a Kindle differentiate between a KU eBook and a regular eBook or does Amazon get sent all of what's read?
It's been well known for over a decade that kindles send quite detailed reading information to amazon.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:50 PM   #26
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It's been well known for over a decade that kindles send quite detailed reading information to amazon.
The Kindle Terms of Service mentions some of the usage data collected but that is the tip of the iceberg.

Quote:
4. General

Information Provided to Amazon. The Kindle Application will provide Amazon with information about use of your Kindle Application and its interaction with Kindle Content and the Service (such as last page read, content archiving, available memory, up-time, log files, and signal strength). Information provided to Amazon may be stored on servers outside the country in which you live. We will handle any information we receive in accordance with the Amazon.com Privacy Notice (http://www.amazon.com/privacy).
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote