Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-19-2022, 08:21 PM   #151
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusJ View Post
Yes, that's my understanding as well, but as I said it'd be nice if they actually fixed cover thumbnails on EPUB conversions at some point. (But I ain't holding my breath over here.)
I wouldn’t count on it. However if you have a jailbroken Kindle there is a way make it work regardless of what Amazon does. Personally I don’t care about cover thumbnails so I won’t bother.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:11 AM   #152
GnRFan79
Enthusiast
GnRFan79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
It is if you want to use Whispersync.
You can’t have the best of both worlds I guess.

It’s annoying that you get inconsistencies on different devices but it sounds like that’s just the way it is.
GnRFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2022, 03:32 AM   #153
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I may be misreading this but do you expect covers to work on send-to-kindle books after August?

As far as I know dropping MOBI from send-to-kindle will remove the possibility of having covers when using that feature.
I worded that wrong. I meant we can only have covers for send-to-kindle books until August.

But I started sideloading via usb now. And I honestly wonder why I never tried it before. Everything looks so much better. I'm also in the process of removing send to kindle books on my Kindle as I convert them.

I also never found myself needing to read on another device for a while now. I guess the only problem for me is when this device crapped out I would lose all my reading progress.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:13 AM   #154
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I also never found myself needing to read on another device for a while now. I guess the only problem for me is when this device crapped out I would lose all my reading progress.
Get a Kobo. You can save your reading progress in Calibre and do many other things you can't with a Kindle, like automatically manage the metadata and collections on your device.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:53 AM   #155
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Get a Kobo. You can save your reading progress in Calibre and do many other things you can't with a Kindle, like automatically manage the metadata and collections on your device.
That's what I'm planning to do. I used to do all that with my Kobo glo. Amazon has really been making it hard for me to stick with them. I'm already set on switching to Kobo when it's time for me to upgrade.
Advert
Old 05-20-2022, 09:41 AM   #156
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
That's what I'm planning to do. I used to do all that with my Kobo glo. Amazon has really been making it hard for me to stick with them. I'm already set on switching to Kobo when it's time for me to upgrade.
Kindles are great if you buy all your books from Amazon and don't care about things like backing up or editing your collection. For sideloaders, Kindles are steadily growing worse and worse, and this has been a deliberate choice by Amazon. They don't want you to even look over the wall around their garden.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:42 AM   #157
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Does it have a whispersync-like feature for syncing reading progress with iOS?
GeniusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:47 AM   #158
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Only for books purchased from Kobo, not for sideloaded books.

That said, I often read the same sideloaded book on both my Kobos and it isn't hard to remember where you left off, once you get into the habit. Problems might arise when you read several books at once.

Last edited by Sirtel; 05-20-2022 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:48 AM   #159
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Only for books bought through the Kobo store (or borrowed from the library).
Old 05-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #160
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've never found the need to sync. I have no problem reading two eBooks at one time. Most of the time, it's reading one book and listening to another.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:30 PM   #161
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've never found the need to sync. I have no problem reading two eBooks at one time. Most of the time, it's reading one book and listening to another.
I think sync is over rated if search works and you remember the last few words you read. Faster than sync and works for PD/Sideloaded. It's a marketing tool for walled garden book sellers.

Besides despite having a load of ereaders and apps on phones/tablets I can't remember when I last actually read a book on more that on device at the same time, except to test.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:43 PM   #162
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think sync is over rated if search works and you remember the last few words you read. Faster than sync and works for PD/Sideloaded. It's a marketing tool for walled garden book sellers.

Besides despite having a load of ereaders and apps on phones/tablets I can't remember when I last actually read a book on more that on device at the same time, except to test.
I'm slowly seeing the light

After my Glo broke I didn't buy an e-ink device for a long while. My aunt gave me her old k4nt and it got me hooked on whispersync.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:51 PM   #163
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Well, I do, and often. But as has been said, it's entirely possible to remember your place, unless you read 10 books at once.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #164
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Y’all can diss whispersync all you like but I use it all the time. I read my Kindle Oasis at home but switch to my phone or tablet when I’m out and about. I can barely remember what I had for breakfast let alone where I am in the book I was reading yesterday.
GeniusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:08 PM   #165
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
For me the big plus of eink is reading old books unavailable in print.
About 0.15% of my ebooks are bought, about 0.05% own content and thus about 99.8% won't work with sync, because PD.

I don't even read on Kindle now. it's just for testing and the Amazon account. I read on Kobo and ZERO books bought from Kobo, so no sync.

I still buy paper books. Bought 8 this week.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub kindle