Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
US resident should buy Kobo ereader where

In consideration of service, warranty, etc., what is the wisest (store or online) place for a US resident to buy a new Kobo ereader, perhaps especially the Forma?

Thanks.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
For merely buying, Walmart is one choice. I would guess that they're also convenient if you need to return it. You can also order online from Kobo in Canada.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
For merely buying, Walmart is one choice. I would guess that they're also convenient if you need to return it. You can also order online from Kobo in Canada.
I ordered my H2O from Chapters in Canada. I ordered it on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and it arrived on the next Sunday.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Posting a link to my similar question from a couple months ago:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320851

I ordered my Clara from Walmart and it came very quickly. I had mine shipped to my home but you can also choose to ship to store if you prefer.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #5
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The builtin online store that the Kobo uses will be Walmart's, but there's a trivial fix for that where you open some text file on it and delete its contents.
Advert
Old 08-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does seem that Walmart is the best seller to go to.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:54 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
In consideration of service, warranty, etc., what is the wisest (store or online) place for a US resident to buy a new Kobo ereader, perhaps especially the Forma?

Thanks.
I would say for warranty and service, any authorized dealers would be equivalent: Walmart, Kobo US, would be equivalent.

Maybe expand on what you mean by "etc"? For example, I believe Walmart would have the easiest returns (if you don't mind going to a physical Walmart store).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
petercreasey
Wizard

I don't know how to buy from Kobo US vs, say, Kobo Canada.

By "etc.", I guess I'm referring to convenience, reliability, cost trade-off, and whatever else a buyer might be interested in.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:19 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I don't know how to buy from Kobo US vs, say, Kobo Canada.

By "etc.", I guess I'm referring to convenience, reliability, cost trade-off, and whatever else a buyer might be interested in.
You might get a better price buying from chapters.ca due to the U.S. dollar vs the Canadian dollar, there were discussions about how returns would work with chapters.ca.

I believe Walmart has more reliable/better order tracking. With Kobo, you place an order, it goes into limbo, and at some point it shows up at your door, IMO.

Walmart.com has multiple vendors, some with better pricing. Pay attention on Walmart.com to who the vendor is.

Etc.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:36 PM   #10
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Canada!. It's cheaper in Canada.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:45 PM   #11
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
The builtin online store that the Kobo uses will be Walmart's, but there's a trivial fix for that where you open some text file on it and delete its contents.
I knew the default sleep screen was Walmart specific (see discussion here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=312117
if you want to change it - I haven't done it) but I didn't know the store was different.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:29 AM   #12
lumpynose
Wizard

I think the file is affiliate.conf in the directory .kobo and what's in mine is

[General]
affiliate=Kobo

So I was wrong about deleting its contents, but maybe that would also do something useful.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:17 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I knew the default sleep screen was Walmart specific (see discussion here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=312117
if you want to change it - I haven't done it) but I didn't know the store was different.
The store is the same no matter what affiliate you have. They might use different logos, but, the underlying store is unchanged.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #14
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Walmart near me has no Kobo in store. If you buy from Walmart.com is it possible to return it to the b&m store?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:33 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
If you don't like Walmart you might want to look at TripleNet Pricing. I don't know anything about them (except that they sell Kobos on the Walmart site) but you can also go directly to their website and order a Kobo. Supposedly you get 1-2 day shipping and (currently) the Kobo Forma is priced at $270. When I put one in their cart and checked for shipping price it came back as free, without tax.

https://www.triplenetpricing.com/Kobo-Forma

Just a quick look at their website seems to indicate that TripleNet is an old line office supply store, based in Delaware.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote