Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
gldnbrwncouches
Enthusiast
gldnbrwncouches doesn't littergldnbrwncouches doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra H2O & Clara HD, Nook ST w/GL, GL+ (2015), Kindle PW4
Kobo Forma difficult to find at Walmart

TL;DR Kobo Forma is near impossible to look up on Walmart.com on purpose.

At a recent family reunion, I got asked several questions about my new e-reader, the Kobo Forma. We compared and contrasted with several others that my family uses and several were interested in where I bought it. Being in the US, I simply replied that we ordered it through Walmart.

Fast forward and I have an older relative that contacted me asking, "Where did you buy your reader again?" She really liked the physical buttons and larger display as she often reads with large print which gets annoying on smaller devices. Knowing she couldn't (unfortunately) just pick one up at her nearby store, I attempted to walk her through the simple search I did at Walmart.com when I ordered it, but she couldn't find it. I then did the same on my computer and typed in "Kobo Forma" in the search box, but the closest thing I got was a listing for the sleepcover alongside several books in Spanish. Searching "Forma" got me nowhere, but "Kobo" did turn up a page that looks like Walmart put together especially for the e-readers, but only the Clara HD and Aura (sold by Walmart) or the Aura H2O (Sold by a third party, but listed with the others) were shown alongside some cover/case options.

After scrolling far enough that you see the "Similar to 'Kobo'" listings can you find a listing for the Forma. Kobo isn't going to gain any traction with it's "premium" device through Walmart in the US this way. While there's nothing really wrong with the Clara HD or Aura, it seems those cheaper devices are the only ones Walmart is remotely interested in putting forward.

I know it's been discussed that the Walmart partnership didn't start out that great, but I still only know of one Walmart in my area that has any devices on display. Its only the Aura (not even the Clara HD), with no price or details next to it, alongside a Samsung tablet with a basic spec sheet and price. All the rest only have a small display of gift cards for ebooks/audiobooks without any prices either. Ridiculous! My Kobo is my favorite device so far, but typically I'd be far more likely to get a Nook or Kindle from their respective stores that actually display and stock the readers.
gldnbrwncouches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gldnbrwncouches View Post
After scrolling far enough that you see the "Similar to 'Kobo'" listings can you find a listing for the Forma. Kobo isn't going to gain any traction with it's "premium" device through Walmart in the US this way. While there's nothing really wrong with the Clara HD or Aura, it seems those cheaper devices are the only ones Walmart is remotely interested in putting forward.
Just go to https://www.walmart.com/kobo If they've got them in stock that's where you'll find them.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2019, 06:35 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Any chance Walmart isn't going to be carrying the higher end Kobos?

Doing a search, I can't find the Forma, and the H2O2 is only available by Triplenet pricing.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Just go to https://www.walmart.com/kobo If they've got them in stock that's where you'll find them.
Yes, when i decided to order a Clara from Walmart doing a search on Walmart didn't work very well. I eventually found them via the store category menu. Rcentros' link will take you directly there.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Any chance Walmart isn't going to be carrying the higher end Kobos?

Doing a search, I can't find the Forma, and the H2O2 is only available by Triplenet pricing.
The Forma is currently available from Walmart, the H202 currently isn't available from Walmart. But that could change tomorrow. There's been times when both the Aura or Clara were only available from Triplenet as well. I don't know what Walmart's relationship with Kobo is, but it seems like the supply of Kobos has been pretty iffy right from the start.

At any rate, the Forma link is here ...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Form...roof/274436858

It looks like store pickup for the Forma is taking a week now.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-20-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Advert
Old 06-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The Forma is currently available from Walmart, the H202 currently isn't available from Walmart. But that could change tomorrow. There's been times when both the Aura or Clara were only available from Triplenet as well. I don't know what Walmart's relationship with Kobo is, but it seems like the supply of Kobos has been pretty iffy right from the start.

At any rate, the Forma link is here ...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Form...roof/274436858

My mistake. When I do a search on "Kobo Forma" on the Walmart site, I expect it to show up in the search results. In the future, I'll have to remember to search mobile read for a link to the Forma on Walmart's site.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #7
gldnbrwncouches
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks rcentos! This link is ideal for handing out to my family for the various models, WITH the Forma included along side the others.

Quote:
When I ordered mine four months ago, it took a week for store pickup, but they also offered a discount for the pickup option rather than shipping to my home.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
My mistake. When I do a search on "Kobo Forma" on the Walmart site, I expect it to show up in the search results. In the future, I'll have to remember to search mobile read for a link to the Forma on Walmart's site.
I've found that with a lot of sites (not just Walmart's) that it is often easier to use a Google search than the built-in store's search. In this case, however, Walmart has gotten better. "walmart.com/kobo" seems to always get to the four models of Kobos that they currently sell. At one time if Walmart didn't have a model in stock, it would disappear from this page and not show up until they got it back (sometimes not even then). Then a regular Walmart search might find the Triplenet listing (and maybe not). Now it's working a bit more like Amazon.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
The Forma is currently available from Walmart, the H202 currently isn't available from Walmart. But that could change tomorrow. ...
And it has ... Walmart has the H2O2 back in stock and on sale for $150 (and available for two day shipping). (EDIT: Looks like it's on clearance. Is a new H2O on the way? And ... the $70 Auras are also on clearance.)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Aura...bled/728720614

I think this is the first time in a long time that Walmart actually has all four Kobo models in stock.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-21-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:05 PM   #10
gldnbrwncouches
Enthusiast

Quote:
And it has ... Walmart has the H2O2 back in stock and on sale for $150 (and available for two day shipping). (EDIT: Looks like it's on clearance. Is a new H2O on the way?
One can only hope! New 6" and 8" Kobo models were released last year (Clara HD and Forma), maybe this year we get a new 7" model?

Even if a new H2O model was on its way, the sale is pretty tempting to me. My wife barely let's go of our Forma anymore, leaving me on my old Nook Glowlight Plus. I really miss reading on the larger screen, so it's either that or I could just get another Forma...