Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #91
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For anyone who’s even a moderately serious photographer, getting LR and PS for $10/month is unbelievably good value for money.
Some of us choose to buy software to own it. I have Affinity, and Luminar/AuroraHDR, as well as a slew of other apps which when totalled up in terms of cost, *still* don't reach the heady heights of Adobe subscriptions for a year. And I don't need to depend on an external source for storage (though I do use flickr... just not much)

The exchange rate is so crappy at the moment, there are lots of Aussies dropping their subs, and going with alternatives. The only ones left that I have noticed are those who are well-heeled, or who are professional photographers. Easy justification for those, not so much for Joe Average.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #92
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Some of us choose to buy software to own it. I have Affinity, and Luminar/AuroraHDR, as well as a slew of other apps which when totalled up in terms of cost, *still* don't reach the heady heights of Adobe subscriptions for a year. And I don't need to depend on an external source for storage (though I do use flickr... just not much)
I don't use Adobe's Cloud storage at all myself, either. You don't need to use the Cloud in order to use "Creative Cloud", despite the name.

I understand completely what you mean about buying software rather than renting it, but I'm prepared to make an exception for Adobe because it is such fantastic software. The monthly subs for LR and PS are less than I was previously paying for the annual updates to LR alone, so it's actually saving me money. Lightroom is the one program that I just couldn't manage without. It's the centre of my entire photographic workflow, both in terms of cataloguing my extremely large photo collection and image processing.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-17-2019 at 02:24 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #93
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Back when I was still using Windows (a long time ago!) I always wanted to buy PhotoShop. But it was just too dang expensive. So instead I used Paint Shop Pro. Fairly decent software. Then I discovered PhotoShop Elements, a stripped down version of PhotoShop. What Adobe did with Elements was remove the user inferface to many of the more advanced PhotoShop features, but they left the features in Elements! I guess it didn't take too long for this to be discovered, and a book named "The Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements" came out. It included a CD that you could run and bingo! ... the interface to the hidden features was restored. So PhotoShop Elements became more like full blown PhotoShop, but for a much cheaper price. Note that the vector drawing stuff from PhotoShop was not included in Elements, it was just the photo editing stuff where they hid the interface. So with the Hidden Elements book and CD you could basically turn Elements into full PhotoShop for the photography features, but not for the vector drawing features. Still, that was quite an accomplishment! I do not know if newer versions of Elements still maintain the hidden features, nor do I know if the Hidden Elements book is still available.

After I canned Windows many years ago and switched to Linux, now I use GIMP for all my photo editing. It is just about as powerful as PhotoShop, and free. I have not found one single thing I wanted to do that I could not do in GIMP (when compared to PhotoShop). So I'm a happy camper now. Graphics professionals may still find a reason to use PhotoShop over GIMP, but the typical home user probably will not. GIMP is available for Windows as well. Note that GIMP works differently than PhotoShop. People used to PhotoShop will probably be lost when first learning GIMP. But resist the urge to whine "this is not like PhotoShop!" and focus on learning the way GIMP does things and I highly doubt you will be disappointed.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #94
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Gimp is excellent, but it does have a bit of a learning curve. Used to be (in Windows) there was an add-on which moved menu items about so that it looked like PS. That never came to Mac, IIRC. If I want a "similar to" experience on my Mac, I use an app called "Acorn". Its pretty good, but nowhere near as powerful as PS. Affinity is, and thats a pay once deal. Luminar isnt pay once, sadly, but I no longer care, since Photos on Mac has finally been updated to a point where editing inside the app is better, and you can open in any other app on your computer.

All of which doesnt really relate to Dropbox! LOL! And I have never used Dropbox for photo storage.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #95
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Some of us choose to buy software to own it.
Unfortunately, the developers have painted a target on our backs.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2019, 04:56 AM   #96
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post
Unfortunately, the developers have painted a target on our backs.
I wouldn't say developers, rather the back office guys have decided that they can get more money using the subscription model. The issue that a lot of software companies have is getting on going revenue, especially once a product has matured and users don't really see an advantage to paying for an upgrade. Unfortunately, a lot of companies are going to this model. As a customer, I hate it.

Lightroom and photoshop are good examples. The subscription to Lightrooom is $200 a year and Photoshop is $240 a year. Yea, that's a bit more than I'm willing to pay a year for those products. Obviously, others are willing to pay it. I totally get paying a subscription for something like dropbox or anti-virus software and I pay that with not issue.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #97
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
It's not just that it's more money it's that it's a reliable stream of income. If you're selling copies of software at one-off price then your ongoing revenue is new customers and people upgrading. And there's the size of the market to consider - the more potential customers you have the lower price you can charge. Niche products tend to be more expensive to start with and so customers wait longer to upgrade, which reduces your revenue which is pressure to increase price.

Subscription isn't a silver bullet either but at least it smooths out some of the revenue.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #98
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Lightroom and photoshop are good examples. The subscription to Lightrooom is $200 a year and Photoshop is $240 a year.
I see that there are indeed individual subscriptions available for Lightroom and Photoshop, but I don’t know why anybody would pay that when the Creative Cloud Photography Plan, which gets you both Photoshop and Lightroom, costs £99.99 a year (or £9.99 a month). Similar dollar price in the US. Ie considerably cheaper than the individual subscription for either product!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Creat.../dp/B00LSU8PYO

I used to buy the standalone version of Lightroom, but now I’m actually spending less on the subscription than I used to on the annual updates, and now I’ve got Photoshop too. I don’t use Photoshop that often (Lightroom is much more productive for 99% of photo editing tasks), but PS is occasionally useful to have.

If you’re an active photographer you have to keep up with updates because camera manufacturers change the camera RAW format with each new model, so if you replace your camera you need to have a version of LR/PS which can read that camera’s RAW files.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-23-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #99
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I see that there are indeed individual subscriptions available for Lightroom and Photoshop, but I don’t know why anybody would pay that when the Creative Cloud Photography Plan, which gets you both Photoshop and Lightroom, costs £99.99 a year (or £9.99 a month). Similar dollar price in the US. Ie considerably cheaper than the individual subscription for either product!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Creat.../dp/B00LSU8PYO

I used to buy the standalone version of Lightroom, but now I’m actually spending less on the subscription than I used to on the annual updates, and now I’ve got Photoshop too. I don’t use Photoshop that often (Lightroom is much more productive for 99% of photo editing tasks), but PS is occasionally useful to have.

If you’re an active photographer you have to keep up with updates because camera manufacturers change the camera RAW format with each new model, so if you replace your camera you need to have a version of LR/PS which can read that camera’s RAW files.
I can't even imagine upgrading my camera that often. I'm purely an amateur photographer. I do mostly sports and outdoor/backpacking photography. I like small, easy and not heavy. My sister is the professional photographer. I'll have to ask her what she uses. She's got a windows laptop as her main photo editing machine. I'm sure I will whimper when she tells me how much it cost.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:38 AM   #100
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just to clarify, I don’t buy a new camera every year either, but I do buy a new lens most years, and lenses need to be recognised by LR/PS too, in order for their geometric distortions to be automatically corrected by the software. That’s particularly important for the type of ultra wide-angle lenses I tend to buy which, by their very nature, produce extremely distorted images when not corrected.