Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #16
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I really can not give you red underlines in Preview in Sigil without duplicating every possible dictionary as QtWebEngine uses its own binary dictionary format that does not support ignore, or personal word lists. So until Qt adds those feature, it makes no sense.

There are javascript spellcheck interfaces but they typically use web based dictionaries and hugely mark up the underlying code with extraneous span tags and extra css classes.

As for keeping track of externally changed files you use Sigil's FileWatcher interface. So for the opf being sent out, we would have to enable FileWatching for each file in the spine.

So no ignore or ignore all for either Preview or PageEdit until that capability comes to QtWebEngine which embeds its own spellcheck solutions deep inside.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:15 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kevin, the redlining in Preview was a thow-away line - maybe 'tin foil hat' doesn't translate

The lack of Ignore, … etc, make it less attractive, one the reasons I like the list based spell checkers is that I can deal with proper names - e.g. Pavlovna - by ignoring them, or adding them to a book specific dictionary.

I tend to treat the opf file as a black-box. Given my druthers I rather select a content file (text, image, etc) and get the corresponding folder in the Open With program - but I also recall you want to make Sigil's folder structure optional.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:54 AM   #18
Springbok
Springbok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
No promises but .... we are thinking about allowing PageEdit to accept on launch an opf or a simple sorted list of file paths in spine order as xml. Then have PageEdit dynamically build a navigation menu, and forward and back keys, so that a user of Sigil could use PageEdit to more easily visually proof and spellcheck the xhtml documents in the spine in sequence without having to go back to Sigil to just load the next chapter.

If a PageEdit user makes any change and then hits forward or back arrows, the user will be prompted to save or discard, and the next file on the list will be loaded automatically (with wraparound at each end of the list).

Would you use a feature like that? With it and the current spellcheck PageEdit has built in it should make final proofing and very very minor edits easier.

Is this worth chasing?

I would support this line of development, it is worth an effort in my opinion.

I basically use PageEdit for final chceck of the edited book i.e. spellcheck and layout (line breaks, line spacing etc.). So this "book preview" feature via PageEdit would be useful and same me some time.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM   #19
LorieD
LorieD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and all epub formats
In theory that should work but there are situations where it's just easier to be able to do the edits in Book View as I see something. For example, I set things up in InDesign to create page/xhtml splits based on chapters but there are often items at the front/back of the book that I want split to new pages/xhtml as well and it's exponentially faster for me to be able to insert the page splits in Book View as I see them rather than having to look for the specific spots in the coding.

I'm looking at Preview now though and see where it may allow some of that since it places me in the coding wherever I click on in the preview. When I've got the time to try out working via Preview, I'll do so but for now I may need to stick with what I know just for time's sake.
LorieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I honestly can't think of anything more risky than inserting split markers in Book View. I wasn't even aware someone could do that. If BV were still around, I'd be making changes so splitting at cursor, or inserting split markers didn't work in BV.

And for clarity, are you saying you've never even seen/used Preview before now?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM   #21
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Actually PageEdit will insert Sigil Split markers but will not split. This gives the user a chance to verify their location via the Inspector, or when back in Sigil CodeView before the split is done.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM   #22
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
No promises but .... we are thinking about allowing PageEdit to accept on launch an opf or a simple sorted list of file paths in spine order as xml. Then have PageEdit dynamically build a navigation menu, and forward and back keys, so that a user of Sigil could use PageEdit to more easily visually proof and spellcheck the xhtml documents in the spine in sequence without having to go back to Sigil to just load the next chapter.

If a PageEdit user makes any change and then hits forward or back arrows, the user will be prompted to save or discard, and the next file on the list will be loaded automatically (with wraparound at each end of the list).

Would you use a feature like that? With it and the current spellcheck PageEdit has built in it should make final proofing and very very minor edits easier.

Is this worth chasing?
I would like to see this as well. It would be great for using Sigil as an e-reader to proof-read books and be able to correct typos on the fly. If I understand correctly.

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #23
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I honestly can't think of anything more risky than inserting split markers in Book View. I wasn't even aware someone could do that. If BV were still around, I'd be making changes so splitting at cursor, or inserting split markers didn't work in BV.
I use/d it all the time (in Book View) when working on collections of HTML articles, or when let's say an entire book is in a single HTML file.

It's easier to scroll, spot a chapter heading, click + Ctrl+Enter.

Side Note: When working on HTML imported from a website, you get who knows what kind of HTML mess along for the ride, which makes it sometimes easier to do some steps in purely visual mode, instead of directly in code.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM   #24
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone X/6/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
hmmm...maybe they could make an app for the iPad/iPhone so I could proofread on the fly there too!!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I use/d it all the time (in Book View) when working on collections of HTML articles, or when let's say an entire book is in a single HTML file.

It's easier to scroll, spot a chapter heading, click + Ctrl+Enter.

Side Note: When working on HTML imported from a website, you get who knows what kind of HTML mess along for the ride, which makes it sometimes easier to do some steps in purely visual mode, instead of directly in code.
I would never split without checking that the split point was in a sane, wise position within the markup first. And since that involves actually perusing Code View to be sure, there was/is no reason in the world for me to split (or insert split markers) in BV or PageEdit. Of course I very rarely deal with garbage markup (by choice), so "reading" the html is no real hardship for me. *shrug*

Last edited by DiapDealer; Yesterday at 07:57 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I want to split in a WYSIWIG manner, I use the calibre editor Preview tool.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote