Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #61
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The fact that you have a favorite cover artist (whose name you know) illustrates to me that I must be missing a some sort of cover art chromosome.
I've got a decent collection of reproductions of the original art for a fair number of science fiction book covers. Di Fate, Freas, Burns, Bonestell, Fazetta, Vallejo & Bell, etc. I spent many a happy hour at various cons browsing the dealer's room when I was younger.

Then I have my wife's collection of cover art such as the three-armed cover.

Edit: for those who have no idea what I meant by the three-armed cover, I've attached an image of the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	castles_in_the_air01.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	811.2 KB
ID:	172745  

Last edited by DNSB; 08-03-2019 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Added image for the three armed cover
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #62
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Maybe it is a Sci Fi Romance cover.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I will never decide to read a particular book based on whether the cover is good, or not. But I *will* decide NOT to read a book if the cover indicates that its a genre I will not normally read. I am not interested in romance or erotic stuff, so any cover with half naked men and/or women will never hook me in, but rather it will turn me off.

My favourite genre is scifi, with an emphasis on the "sci" part. So if I see some book called, oh i dunno, Monsters from Mars, which has a half naked anybody on the cover, I *know* its not going to be the kind of thing I want to read. I could be wrong about it, but the cover will put me right off even bothering.
It depends on how the half-naked people are drawn. Sometimes they can indicate proper fantasy and sometimes not. Take Conan the Barbarian for example.On most covers, he's half naked. But it is proper fantasy.

But in your example, half naked would defiantly be a no-go for me as well. There are way too many "fantasy" books that are really romance and putting them in the SF/Fantasy section of a book store is wrong (IMHO). They belong is the romance section.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:48 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Edit: for those who have no idea what I meant by the three-armed cover, I've attached an image of the cover.
The cover you've attached is actually very much wrong. It looks like a Templar Knight and Templars would not be having such a romance.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #65
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The cover you've attached is actually very much wrong. It looks like a Templar Knight and Templars would not be having such a romance.
Well, maybe she was a pilgrim he'd rescued after she was shunned and abandoned because of her disability?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #66
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It depends on how the half-naked people are drawn. Sometimes they can indicate proper fantasy and sometimes not. Take Conan the Barbarian for example.On most covers, he's half naked. But it is proper fantasy.

But in your example, half naked would defiantly be a no-go for me as well. There are way too many "fantasy" books that are really romance and putting them in the SF/Fantasy section of a book store is wrong (IMHO). They belong is the romance section.
Whaddya mean, "fantasy?" Conan's REAL, Wolfie!!!!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #67
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've got a decent collection of reproductions of the original art for a fair number of science fiction book covers. Di Fate, Freas, Burns, Bonestell, Fazetta, Vallejo & Bell, etc. I spent many a happy hour at various cons browsing the dealer's room when I was younger.

They're well-preserved zombies and that's an arm she'd been gnawing on.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote