Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #1
fotoroberto
fotoroberto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kobo backup image on Mac

Hi,
is there an easy and fool proof way to make a backup image of the whole Kobo SD card; system partitions and everything, and a way to restore it if everything fails.
I'm on Mojave 10.14.5.

Thanks
fotoroberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Yep. Just use Disk Utility to find the device (something like disk#), and then open a Terminal and run "sudo dd if=/dev/disk# of=backup.img". You'll need to remove the SD card from the Kobo first and put it in a card reader.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #3
fotoroberto
fotoroberto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Yep. Just use Disk Utility to find the device (something like disk#), and then open a Terminal and run "sudo dd if=/dev/disk# of=backup.img". You'll need to remove the SD card from the Kobo first and put it in a card reader.
Ahh, so that is the catch, I can't read it and restore it inside Kobo…
Thanks
fotoroberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:18 PM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
It's actually not necessary to remove the SD card. Saves time. But you're right about the command. I just posted a tutorial here for those not familiar with using Terminal: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...07#post4139307
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:25 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Interesting but wrong. Kobo ONLY exposes one partition of the internal storage over USB; no way around it

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:36 AM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Interesting but wrong. Kobo ONLY exposes one partition of the internal storage over USB; no way around it

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
This must be what the other gent was referring to in my tutorial? He didn't word it in a way that I could follow, but you did.

Assuming you are correct (and at this point, I believe you are since "diskutil" only shows one partition), isn't having a backup of the public partition still beneficial?
Old 07-17-2021, 03:35 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
This must be what the other gent was referring to in my tutorial? He didn't word it in a way that I could follow, but you did.

Assuming you are correct (and at this point, I believe you are since "diskutil" only shows one partition), isn't having a backup of the public partition still beneficial?
Having a backup of the data is beneficial. But, I don't think an image will be any better than copying all the files from the partition.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:39 AM   #8
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Having a backup of the data is beneficial. But, I don't think an image will be any better than copying all the files from the partition.
Well, using "cp" would certainly be faster than "dd". It's terribly slow.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:25 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Well, using "cp" would certainly be faster than "dd". It's terribly slow.
I probably should have said that I do this frequently. I take a copy, do whatever experiment I wanted to do, and then copy it all back to get back to the original status.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:49 AM   #10
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I probably should have said that I do this frequently. I take a copy, do whatever experiment I wanted to do, and then copy it all back to get back to the original status.
I'll experiment with cp and update my tutorial. I want to place the best method *somewhere* so that I can refer to it again and not reinvent the wheel, which is why I've put it here. dd is great for making a full disk image, but I have been looking at faster backup alternatives. dd takes hours.

Speaking of not reinventing the wheel, I'd love your feedback on the "Ghost eBooks" thread. I've run into database issues again.