Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Order from Walmart or Kobo?

Apparently Overdrive has made some kind of change so I can no longer get library books directly on my Sony PRS-T3. I'm thinking of getting a Kobo Clara. Here in the US that means ordering from Kobo directly or from Walmart. Other than shipping time, is there any reason to choose one seller over the other?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Apparently Overdrive has made some kind of change so I can no longer get library books directly on my Sony PRS-T3. I'm thinking of getting a Kobo Clara. Here in the US that means ordering from Kobo directly or from Walmart. Other than shipping time, is there any reason to choose one seller over the other?
Local return if there's a problem.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
I ordered my Forma from Walmart. They gave me a discount for buying the cover at the same time and another discount for picking them up in the store. I also liked the option to return it to a physical store.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
One more reason to go with Walmart, if you wanted the Aura (you probably want something better), it costs $70 at Walmart and $120 at Kobo. Just checked my Tolino Vision 2, it still works on Overdrive (using its web browser to download).

But it's possible that my library hasn't "upgraded" yet.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-17-2019 at 05:22 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point about potentisl returns. Hopefully I won't receive one that's defective out of the box but just in case, it would be easier to return it to a local store. I went ahead and ordered the Clara from Walmart.

Rcentros - I didn't know Tolino was available in the US. Of course it's a moot point now since I already ordered the Kobo.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Rcentros - I didn't know Tolino was available in the US. Of course it's a moot point now since I already ordered the Kobo.
They can be ordered at Groove's Land, from Germany, at a reasonable price with free (4-11 day) shipping. (Other models, including the Page, Vision 4 HD, Epos and the Shine 3 HD (the one that looks like a Clara) are also available there.

https://www.grooves-inc.com/tolino-s..._medium=artist

But I'm always thinking more of the used market and there's always a few of them up on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/171485/i.ht...orrect&_sop=15

Or: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn...olino&_sacat=0

(For some reason to two older Shines aren't showing up in the regular search.)

Last edited by rcentros; 06-17-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Another option (although returning a defective unit might be an issue) is to order from the Canadian store Chapters Indigo.
They do charge shipping when sending to the US, but with the exchange rate difference, the charge is likely to be less than ordering from Kobo or Walmart.

I ordered my Kobo Aura One from them a couple years ago--shipped to California and am very satisfied.

Last edited by dordale; 06-30-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Edited to correct link to Chapters Indigo
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:59 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Another option (although returning a defective unit might be an issue) is to order from the Canadian store Chapters Indigo...
And, right now, the Kobo Clara is on sale for $120 Canadian, so about $92 U.S. I don't know what other fees might be involved, however. (Looks like $30 for shipping and something for changing the currency, so probably a wash when comparing to Walmart's price.)

Last edited by rcentros; 06-30-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
And, right now, the Kobo Clara is on sale for $120 Canadian, so about $92 U.S. I don't know what other fees might be involved, however. (Looks like $30 for shipping and something for changing the currency, so probably a wash when comparing to Walmart's price.)
Yes, the $129.99 at Walmart includes either store pickup or shipping. The return potential as discussed above would likely have motivated me to go with Walmart anyway even if there was a moderate price difference. (though fortunately I did not receive a lemon and have no plans to return)
Old 07-01-2019, 09:59 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Get it AT the store they wont charge you until you except. They also allow you to open the box & check it out!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote