Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-25-2022, 05:30 PM   #1
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Question Good covers/cases for Paperwhite 5 (11th gen, 2021)

I got myself a Paperwhite 5. It's not the prettiest device, not as pretty as the Kobo Libra 2, doesn't come in white, but the battery and performance is unmatched. Now I'm looking for cases.

I bought a few different ones from Amazon to try, but they all have these sharp edges on the cover. Same with Aliexpress. I'm guessing that the vast majority of these Amazon sellers and Aliexpress ones are getting their cases manufactured by a single aftermarket manufacturer, which decided to go with these terrible thin-edged covers this year. The edge hurts your hand when it's flipped to the back. Previous gens don't have this problem.

The official Amazon fabric covers for the PW5 only come in 3 terribly drab colors: black, dark blue, and pink. At least for PW4, they had this nice yellow color. And their "leather" cases this year have been roundly panned for being made of cheap plastic instead. It's like the entire world, both Amazon and third party sellers, have given up on the Paperwhite this year. I thought the Kobo Libra 2 official case was bad, but it's so much higher quality than anything put out for the PW5.

I'd honestly rather have an origami case like the Libra 2 so I can use it as a stand. But Amazon doesn't make official ones anymore, and the third party ones all have the sharp edges from the same crappy manufacturer, and they all stand crooked.

What are you guys using? PLEASE get me out of this mess.

Last edited by mbrisco; 06-25-2022 at 05:32 PM.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:01 PM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post

What are you guys using?
I'm using the case (black) that my Kindle Paperwhite Kids bundle came with
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2022, 05:12 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
I got myself a Paperwhite 5. It's not the prettiest device, not as pretty as the Kobo Libra 2, doesn't come in white, but the battery and performance is unmatched. Now I'm looking for cases.

I bought a few different ones from Amazon to try, but they all have these sharp edges on the cover. Same with Aliexpress. I'm guessing that the vast majority of these Amazon sellers and Aliexpress ones are getting their cases manufactured by a single aftermarket manufacturer, which decided to go with these terrible thin-edged covers this year. The edge hurts your hand when it's flipped to the back. Previous gens don't have this problem.

The official Amazon fabric covers for the PW5 only come in 3 terribly drab colors: black, dark blue, and pink. At least for PW4, they had this nice yellow color. And their "leather" cases this year have been roundly panned for being made of cheap plastic instead. It's like the entire world, both Amazon and third party sellers, have given up on the Paperwhite this year. I thought the Kobo Libra 2 official case was bad, but it's so much higher quality than anything put out for the PW5.

I'd honestly rather have an origami case like the Libra 2 so I can use it as a stand. But Amazon doesn't make official ones anymore, and the third party ones all have the sharp edges from the same crappy manufacturer, and they all stand crooked.

What are you guys using? PLEASE get me out of this mess.
It sounds like you should have purchased the Libra 2. I am very pleased with mine (white) and its beautiful origami cover.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #4
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The white Libra 2 + official origami cover really is the best thing out there right now. Unfortunately the Libra 2 battery life is trash compared to the PW5 so I’ve gone with the ugly duckling. Trying to make the best of it
Old 06-27-2022, 01:28 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The official lilac cover looks quite nice. Maybe buy a cheap phone stand for when you want to read hands-free. I bought a couple from Amazon called TonyHoney. I'll try to find a link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-F...28&sr=8-3&th=1

Last edited by BookCat; 06-27-2022 at 01:31 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2022, 02:22 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
The white Libra 2 + official origami cover really is the best thing out there right now. Unfortunately the Libra 2 battery life is trash compared to the PW5 so I’ve gone with the ugly duckling. Trying to make the best of it
Trash? That's simply not true. Battery life is better than fine in my experience. (And I've owned and used a boatload of different ereaders in the past 14 years)
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:47 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the light setting fairly high on my Libra 2 but it still takes about a week of reading for several hours a day before I need to recharge. This usually coincides with wanting to sideload more books.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:10 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I have the light setting fairly high on my Libra 2 but it still takes about a week of reading for several hours a day before I need to recharge. This usually coincides with wanting to sideload more books.
My experience, as well. And I've had my Libra 2 about one week. Such a beautiful ereader. It's a joy to hold and read on. Mine is white with the light red origami cover.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:28 PM   #9
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)

I’m getting 24 hours of read time on the Libra 2, but 72 hours on the Paperwhite 5. When sleeping, Kindle similarly uses 3x less battery. It’s night and day. Otherwise, the Libra 2 is better in every way, so I agree. Unfortunately, PW5 is the battery king by far.

Case-wise, I found the Mirodden case on Amazon to be the best case for the PW5 so far. All the origami cases are complete crap. Most cases in general, with their horrible sharp edges. I tried 8, returned all but the Mirodden.

Last edited by mbrisco; 07-01-2022 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:21 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
I’m getting 24 hours of read time on the Libra 2, but 72 hours on the Paperwhite 5. When sleeping, Kindle similarly uses 3x less battery. It’s night and day. Otherwise, the Libra 2 is better in every way, so I agree. Unfortunately, PW5 is the battery king by far.

Case-wise, I found the Mirodden case on Amazon to be the best case for the PW5 so far. All the origami cases are complete crap. Most cases in general, with their horrible sharp edges. I tried 8, returned all but the Mirodden.
24 hours is about 3 hours a day for a week. I don't mind charging my reader weekly. I'm frequently near to my laptop, even when reading. While reading, I play ambient videos in the background. So it's simple just to hook the Libra up to the computer, begin charging, convert some books in Calibre - adding metadata - then load them onto the Libra.

Then I'll eject the Libra, but leave it plugged in and charging while I check the newly sideloaded books and put them into Collections. By this time the battery is normally at full capacity. If not, I'll just carry on reading while it charges, or drop into mobileread.

Charging can be rather fun.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:20 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
My favorite cases are Fintie Folio cases. I like the feel of them and they protect the reader a bit better. Some folks think they get in the way, so it's a matter of taste.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40325814328...IAAOSwIPlhd8L3

Fintie sells on eBay (under various names) for less than they normally charge on Amazon.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, cover, kindle, pw5