Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2022, 07:36 AM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Kobo Store no longer displaying page length or time to read?

I've noticed this in the last few days, and have confirmed that some books which WERE showing page counts and time to read a few days ago are now not showing either. It's a bit disconcerting to have no framework of comparison at all about how long a book is, does anyone know what the rationale for this change is?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:17 AM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kobo CSR I spoke to was unaware of the change before my call, after a longish wait on hold, he came back and said "not enough people used the information, so it was removed" - given that the information was static and not linked/clickable, how they divined usage is beyond me, but c'est la vie
Advert
Old 06-24-2022, 10:48 AM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
My guess would be through polls. They do send out some questionnaires on occasion.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:56 AM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
My guess would be through polls. They do send out some questionnaires on occasion.
I am a member of their Kobo Insiders program, which does run polls but when I login, I see no updates of any sort since August 2021. Then again, Kobo doesn't like me much - inviting me to apply for the beta program, then not replying to my application and TWICE emailing me to ask me to apply for a discussion group of readers with disabilities and then not replying to my following though on their request.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:24 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I am a member of their Kobo Insiders program, which does run polls but when I login, I see no updates of any sort since August 2021. Then again, Kobo doesn't like me much - inviting me to apply for the beta program, then not replying to my application and TWICE emailing me to ask me to apply for a discussion group of readers with disabilities and then not replying to my following though on their request.
I’m an insider too. One of my Kobos is on the beta program though they never confirmed I’d be in the thing. It doesn’t get every beta and as I’ve now basically retired it I’m not even checking. I’ve given rather limited information to kobo so I’ve not been invited to anything else.
Advert
Old 06-24-2022, 04:23 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I did answer a poll one time when I visited the Kobo store in a web browser. My response was the page count was near useless and the time to read was totally useless. I mean who takes 6 hours to read short novel of 83,718 words? Yes, I know that is fairly accurate for the average reader and dividing by 4 gives me a decent estimate for myself. Still going by my Kobo Reading Life emails, they should have a decent estimate of my reading speed to use when I'm signed in.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:14 PM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I did answer a poll one time when I visited the Kobo store in a web browser. My response was the page count was near useless and the time to read was totally useless..
I used the figures not as a guide for how long they would take me to read but in comparing books - it's reasonable to assume that a 400 'page' book is twice as long as a 200 'page' book. Book length is a factor for me because there are a lot of books that would be worthwhile if short, but tedious and bloated if long. There are also books that would be better long than short. Now Kobo offers me no way to make those comparisons.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:51 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The Kobo CSR I spoke to was unaware of the change before my call, after a longish wait on hold, he came back and said "not enough people used the information, so it was removed" - given that the information was static and not linked/clickable, how they divined usage is beyond me, but c'est la vie
It seems to be weird timing considering that Kobo have just added these details to the books on the device. I just checked a few purchased books and the details aren't displaying on the device. It looks like it is still there for audiobooks. I suppose that makes sense as there is a standard playback speed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:39 PM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard

Personally I'd see page count as maybe useful, but any time to read is going to be made useless by virtue of the fact that we don't all read at the same speed, and that people doing reading speed tests are specifically focused on *just* reading. I like to ponder on what I've read at times, at times I only pay enough attention to get what's happening without doing a lot of consideration on what it could mean and how it connects to the rest of the book. In either mode I'm unlikely to hit the standard reading speed.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:15 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Personally I'd see page count as maybe useful, but any time to read is going to be made useless by virtue of the fact that we don't all read at the same speed, and that people doing reading speed tests are specifically focused on *just* reading. I like to ponder on what I've read at times, at times I only pay enough attention to get what's happening without doing a lot of consideration on what it could mean and how it connects to the rest of the book. In either mode I'm unlikely to hit the standard reading speed.
Once you get used to your reading speed vs what they say, you'll have an idea how long the book is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:02 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My reading speed is very uneven, with frequent interruptions. The main reason for this are my three cats, who constantly maneuver for places and positions, want to be petted and cuddled and so on. So any reading speed estimates are totally useless to me.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:46 PM   #12
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
What a disappointing move on Kobo's part! I used that information a lot.

Especially when considering a pricy ebook, I used that information to make sure I'd be getting my money's worth; I'll make fewer such purchases now.

Also, with things like Erle Stanley Garnder's PERRY MASON series, some of the ebooks are full novels and others are just short stories, and the wordcount stats were the way to tell which was which before purchase.

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 06-25-2022 at 02:50 PM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:29 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Once you get used to your reading speed vs what they say, you'll have an idea how long the book is.
Except my speed varies with my mood. Sure overall I might average out, but it’s never going to be a good metric for me with books.

Just for clarification I’d need to figure out my average speed using multiple books and days of not weeks or months of reading then do the math to convert Kobos estimate to my own all for something which at best will only ever be moderately accurate and has no impact on if I’ll enjoy a book or not.

Page numbers are, at least as far as the Kobo stores former reporting of them, static figures. Yes once it’s on my Sage it may have more or likely less pages, but the benchmark is easy to establish and variation would be minor.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:33 PM   #14
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
What a disappointing move on Kobo's part! I used that information a lot.

Especially when considering a pricy ebook, I used that information to make sure I'd be getting my money's worth; I'll make fewer such purchases now.
This actually surprises me coming from an author, good books aren’t always long books, nor are short books always bad. I’ve also found that generally the short bad books are cheaply priced, I imagine those authors goal is mass production of product.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:45 PM   #15
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
This actually surprises me coming from an author, good books aren’t always long books, nor are short books always bad. I’ve also found that generally the short bad books are cheaply priced, I imagine those authors goal is mass production of product.
I'm not talking about fiction for the most part. But when you're contemplating a nonfiction book -- about 90% of the 5,000 ebooks I have bought -- especially from an academic or university press, where the book might be priced at $25 or more, yes, I want to know if it's a slim treatment or a comprehensive volume.

THE BONE FEUD (about paleontologists Cope and Marsh, self-published it seems) is 35,000 words long; HADROSAURS from Indiana University Press is 325,000 words. You bet that order-of-magnitude difference has an impact on how much one might be willing to pay for the books.

On the other hand, the 24 novels I've written -- ranging from 57,000 words to 125,000 words long -- are all a bargain, regardless of price.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote