Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #106
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
If I actually turn my cell phone off (as opposed to letting it go to sleep) it takes about 18 seconds to turn on and "boot up." Also, turning it off takes about 6 seconds.

I think people are gradually becoming accustomed to these delays.
But "people" aren't doing that. Even your first-person reference ("If I") is stated hypothetically.

For non-nerds, turning the screen off is turning the phone off, unless they're trying to block calls or save battery.

I see the opposite trend. For non-production tasks, people reach for their mobile device before their PC, even if both are in arm's reach, because for most of those tasks, mobile provides more instant gratification. It's easy to argue that a 18-45 second boot time shouldn't matter—and it is a blink in the scheme of things—but consumers will always gravitate to the faster user experience (which can be a PC in some cases, like editing a spreadsheet or writing a long email).
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #107
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
For me, it depends on what I'm going to be doing. Both the PC and Mac are always on, so there's no delay regardless.

If I need a keyboard, it's a computer, if I'm just looking for something with minimal input it's the tablet.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #108
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
[quoted spam post removed by moderator]

Its about as simple as they can make it.. does she do email? If so then probably ok. May need help getting starting.

Last edited by dreams; 06-21-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: removed quoted post of spam - moderator
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #109
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
My 90-year-old dad introduced me to my first kindle. he and my mom both have kindles and iPads - they've got better tech than I have.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #110
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My 89 year old Dad loves his Kindle.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #111
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Most people never needed a computer. They only wanted a Television that worked on the Internet so they could look at stuff.

A computer would do that, but a tablet will too and is cheaper and much more convenient.

The final step from a computer and its keyboard was when people started texting on their phones, and it was just another step and in fact easier to text on a tablet. So the keyboard is not necessary any more for most people, therefore the tablet now has taken over 2/3s of the computer market.
Agreed. Also, those who do need a computer for various tasks often have "downtime" when they want to browse the net or catch up on some tasks but not sitting at their computer or even with their laptop out. That's where the tablet hits the spot. They're not useful for everyone nor for everything, but I do think they fit for many.

I'm not surprised so many people want/have one.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #112
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Never leave home without one!

With the addition of tablets, smartphones and laptops, one never needs to be without the ability to carry their personal entertainment/communications (social and business) where ever they go. In a easy form factor depending on what one wants to do or go.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #113
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes soon our credit cards will BE tablets.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #114
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes soon our credit cards will BE tablets.
That is here now with the tablets that have NFC (near field communications). My nexus 7 has it. Pay by swiping just like they do with some smart phones.

Now I am debating with myself if that is a good thing or not!

One trend that I have seen coming is one day cash will be a thing of the past! And all money in time will be electronic. And that scares the dodo out of me! But the government (local/national) and some bushiness are moving that way.

Sorry for the slight bend going.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #115
kennyc

The Dodo is already dead, we killed it.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #116
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The Dodo is already dead, we killed it.
My bad!

I was trying to be nice and polite! And was thinking of the stinky type and not the feathered ones. (happens when caffeine levels are still low in my mornings)
Old 12-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #117
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
My bad!

I was trying to be nice and polite! And was thinking of the stinky type and not the feathered ones. (happens when caffeine levels are still low in my mornings)
I know, I know, I'm just a kid at heart and couldn't help it....

Old 12-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #118
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
Have yet to see a small square box under the Christmas tree, but I'm hoping to get the Nexus 7 32GB tablet for Christmas (one can only cross fingers at this point).
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #119
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love.Forever. View Post
Have yet to see a small square box under the Christmas tree, but I'm hoping to get the Nexus 7 32GB tablet for Christmas (one can only cross fingers at this point).
May be nice to you this Xmas!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #120
tarzanphan60
Enthusiast
tarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Nook Color, Tablet, HD, HD+
I have multiple tablets and don't know how I lived without them.

Love my iPad (just upgraded to a 4) and use it for almost everything. If I could plug in a thumb drive - I probably would use it for even more.

I think the Nook HD and HD+ are great - except for the cheap plug covering the SD Card.

Kindle Fire HD has the best sound on any tablet.

And that is just part of them.
tarzanphan60 is offline   Reply With Quote