Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
DeepWaters
DeepWaters began at the beginning.

Device: android smartphone
Question calibre content server

Hi Y'uns (lived in Pittsburgh for many years, so have to keep up the lingo),

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this question, but I'm a forum virgin so be patient.

Is calibre's content server actually on the internet (whatever that actually means), or is there a file located at port 8080 that is readable with an internet browser.

I suppose what happens is that my computer becomes an internet server, but then why can't others see my "pages" and why can't I visit it via my smartphone's data service?

If it's a file, why can't I just copy it to my android and open the file with my browser, thereby removing the need for me to have my wireless network available. I mean, there's not a lot of places that my wireless network is available!

Best,
RedSun.DeepWater

P.S. Your bookworm emoticon is reading a paper book a physical, nonelectronic book.
DeepWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepWaters View Post
Hi Y'uns (lived in Pittsburgh for many years, so have to keep up the lingo),

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this question, but I'm a forum virgin so be patient.

Is calibre's content server actually on the internet (whatever that actually means), or is there a file located at port 8080 that is readable with an internet browser.

I suppose what happens is that my computer becomes an internet server, but then why can't others see my "pages" and why can't I visit it via my smartphone's data service?

If it's a file, why can't I just copy it to my android and open the file with my browser, thereby removing the need for me to have my wireless network available. I mean, there's not a lot of places that my wireless network is available!

Best,
RedSun.DeepWater

P.S. Your bookworm emoticon is reading a paper book a physical, nonelectronic book.
The content server is indeed a web server that must be started on your PC (via the sharing preference).
For you to access the catalob:
1) The PC must be running and NOT hibernate or standby.
2) The user must login to start the service (screen lock after is good)
3) Access can not be blocked by the firewall on the selected port.
4) Access is LAN only unless you setup Port forwarding on your router
5) WAN access requires some method of accessing the WAN side (current Public IP, DYNDNS.ORG...) of your router.

You can test LAN access (1-4) from any browser on a PC.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
content server