Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2017, 06:01 AM   #121
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Name me one Kindle that can use DRMed eBooks from any eBookstore outside of Amazon? ...
The answer to this question is Pottermore.

Quote:
DRM...where the eBook is tied to specific devices/apps. Where you cannot edit or look at the code.
This seems like a rather meaningless qualification. If the DRM is meant for specific devices/apps than, it is meant for specific devices/apps.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #122
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

I was browsing this thread once more.
I must admit, for me I don't want any device that doesnt support epub. End of story.
Then I see all the arguments about how people are happy with the Amazon ecosystem and it all works just great. Well, so did the financial world and all the structured products before 2007 came. Maybe 2007 will never come for Amazon and maybe it will.
Anyway Epub may not be so clever like Kfx/Ion (which i do think is quite clever stuff) but it's good for my books!!

Last edited by Stevex; 11-23-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #123
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
I must admit, for me I don't want any device that doesnt support epub. End of story.
Then I see all the arguments about how people are happy with the Amazon ecosystem and it all works just great. Well, so did the financial world and all the structured products before 2007 came. Maybe 2007 will never come for Amazon and maybe it will.
Anyway Epub may not be so clever like Kfx/Ion (which i do think is quite clever stuff) but it's good for my books!!
Books you read or books you have written?

As for reading books, any format works as long as I can see it. I can't see some paperbacks.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #124
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
And theoretically Adobe could quit supporting DRM for ePub eBooks. But that's about as likely as Amazon stopping support for their ecosystem. Hypotheticals don't usually mean a whole lot when making practical decisions.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #125
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
And theoretically Adobe could quit supporting DRM for ePub eBooks. But that's about as likely as Amazon stopping support for their ecosystem. Hypotheticals don't usually mean a whole lot when making practical decisions.
Well, but they should! However, purely virtual hypotheticals without any basis in the empirical world should not.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:59 AM   #126
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
This furphy comes up from time to time but it is quite simply that. Epub with DRM is no better than azw3 or mobi with DRM. Without drm both Amazon formats and Epub are well understood and can be read and converted, kfx now included.

I would prefer to do without the walled gardens but the fact is this is simply not going to happen anytime soon if at all. Personally I would be more concerned about Adobe DRM than Amazon DRM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:38 AM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm not concerned about either DRM. I can remove either at present. SO until the day comes when we cannot remove the DRM, then it'll be time to be concerned.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #128
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

The point i was making was nothing to do with drm (as such) or epub being 'better'
Amazon are basically converting reading to a streaming service, where the content ison their servers and they stream the presentation to the device
Even today I guess the vast majority of kindle users do not bother with offline copies, their books are on Amazon servers available on demand.
I do keep my Calibre libraries in the cloud as well but I also keep multiple offline backups.
Can you be sure Amazon will still exist in 20 years? That your home territory and Amazon will be under compatible legal systems. Etc etc. A lot can happen in 2 or 3 decades and even if it's only a one in a thousand chance that's still one too many for me.

Last edited by Stevex; 11-26-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #129
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
The point i was making was nothing to do with drm (as such) or epub being 'better'
Amazon are basically converting reading to a streaming service, where the content ison their servers and they stream the presentation to the device
Even today I guess the vast majority of kindle users do not bother with offline copies, their books are on Amazon servers available on demand.
I do keep my Calibre libraries in the cloud as well but I also keep multiple offline backups.
Can you be sure Amazon will still exist in 20 years? That your home territory and Amazon will be under compatible legal systems. Etc etc. A lot can happen in 2 or 3 decades and even if it's only a one in a thousand chance that's still one too many for me.
The point is that the people who are concerned about it are able to back up their books. Isn't that really the only important thing?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:07 PM   #130
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The topic here is incorrect. Kobo is better than Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #131
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Sorry, but
I honestly wish they were, but they need to catch up on so many features yet...

Last edited by johnnyb; 11-27-2017 at 02:44 AM.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #132
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Oh come now.

First, you have to have some gall to critique the topic of a thread you haven't started.

Second, you are being dishonest. The topic is "What would make Kobo surpass Kindle?"

You could say 'surpass' could be interpreted in different ways, so then there's the first post: "Basically what features, etc would cause Kobo to cut into the market share of Kindle in your opinion?"
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #133
Stevex
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
The point is that the people who are concerned about it are able to back up their books. Isn't that really the only important thing?

Shari
I have two points
- The vast majority of people don't think about backing up their books, though in my opinion they should. They rely on Amazon.
- I give it max 5 years till it's no longer possible to back up Amazon-purchased books (even with all the apprentices).
Old 11-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #134
Stevex
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Sory, but
I honestly wish they were, but they need to catch up on so many features yet...
I have seen your posts and you are very biased.

I dont want to argue one way or another because I think as e-readers, hmm, I was going to say they're pretty balanced but the more I think onit, maybe the Aura One does have an edge. But a lot of it is just personal preference really.

I mean if I wanted Landscape mode I'd be voting for Kindle I suppose. Just for example.

Last edited by Stevex; 11-26-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #135
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
I don't understand what you mean by this. When I purchase a book from amazon, it downloads automatically onto my Kindle the next time I sync it. From that point on, the file is on my Kindle and I can do what I want with it, regardless of whether I am online or offline.

How is this not the case with the "vast majority" of Kindle users?
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote