Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
Unhappy 2nd hand Kindle 2 now selling for $90

I got my Kindle 2 Global for $219 early this year (I think it was January or February), but had to pay an additional $50 for shipping halfway around the world to where I live (South Korea).

Nowadays, with a new Kindle 3 Wi-Fi selling for a mere $139 and with iPads and Galaxy Tabs and such being all the rage, the 2nd hand prices for older Kindles are dropping at an alarming rate.

Just this morning, I saw someone selling a used Kindle 2 Global in very good condition (the photos didn't show a single scratch) for a mere 100,000 KRW, which converts to around $87.
Since shipping within South Korea only costs around 4,000 KRW (approx $3), I could theoretically get a "like-new" Kindle 2 for $90 now.

And this wasn't a standalone case either. I can see at least 5 more people wanting to sell off their Kindle 2's at prices averaging at 130,000 KRW ($114).

While I love my Kindle, this makes me feel kind of cheated
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:05 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
ahhh thats the world of electronics...part of the reason i wait a year to buy something after it comes out
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 03:10 AM   #3
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
ahhh thats the world of electronics...part of the reason i wait a year to buy something after it comes out
Well, I *did* wait a number of years after the original Kindle came out before I bought it, and I also did wait until the Kindle 2's price dropped from $249 to $219 too.

I guess it all comes down to asking yourself "am I willing to pay more and get satisfaction NOW, rather than wait until the price drops, by when there's sure to be a new shiny toy I'll want?"
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:49 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbleu View Post
I guess it all comes down to asking yourself "am I willing to pay more and get satisfaction NOW, rather than wait until the price drops, by when there's sure to be a new shiny toy I'll want?"
There's one thing you can be sure of in electronics: the price is always going to drop, and the features are always going to improve. If you always wait for the next generation, you would never buy anything.

(Which may not be a bad thing.)
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Well, I paid $259 for my Kindle 2. Plasma TV's in Australia cost $4000 just over three years ago, now the same size sells for $1200.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 04:06 AM   #6
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Buy something that you will use, and make sure it is worth what you pay for it?

People are buying 700$ Iphone 4s right now and I laugh at them..
They will be in bins in a few years when new electronics with 3d displays and whatnot have replaced them that cost 1/3 of the price.

Such is life.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
shrik
shrik began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 Wifi 32 GB
Amazon selling remaining Kindle 2 stock for $89 on Black Friday

So stay away from used ones from eBay for now!
shrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
many of us here bought the original Kindles for over $400 and then watched technology move on. that's life in the modern world. you pays your entry fees, you rolls your dice and moves your mice...
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote