Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Gadgetguy
Connoisseur
Gadgetguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Alternative (better) firmware?

Hello all,

since the Kobo is made by netronix, has anyone tried to install the apparently much nicer Netronix firmware on it?

I would try myself, but my Kobo has not shipped yet...
Gadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Netronix has created many, many 600-series readers; generally the software is custom tailored for each variety. Until we get the kernel and boot-up sources to study, I wouldn't try any other software.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Troll type question! The Poster admits s/he doesn't yet have the device, already wants to trash it and pretend it is something else.

I get it ... you can run Android on an iPhone. But you bought ... a Kobo. Why not actually use the device you (haven't yet received) bought ... as you bought it?

Hands up how many people buy a MacBook and the first thing they do is install Windows XP?!?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, it's more like buying a Macbook, and wanting to install System 7 on it! At least they came out of the same factory - albeit a couple of generations apart
Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I bought an eSlick which is a Cybook Gen 3 with custom firmware (which sucks, BTW, and the update is only moderately better) and I tried to flash it with the Gen 3 firmware and it didn't work. Don't know if this would be the same with the Kobo (flashing with Nettronix firmware) but I suspect it would be.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger

Yep, I have both a Gen3 and an eSlick; they both open up easily, and don't really look that much alike inside. Same family, different kids. Someday, I'll have Open Inkpot on both of them.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:20 AM   #7
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetguy View Post
Hello all,

since the Kobo is made by netronix, has anyone tried to install the apparently much nicer Netronix firmware on it?

I would try myself, but my Kobo has not shipped yet...
I see what you're thinking/doing - wish I could afford to be that competent and "free" with my money.

Is the Netronix sold anywhere in Canada?
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
Gadgetguy
Connoisseur

Well, I have to say I am somewhat surprised by some of the replies.

I have purchased and used many gadgets in the past, and a significant part of them I never used stock: as soon as I got them I hacked them, replaced their firmware or modified them in some other way - as they better suited me that way.

The Kobo in its current version looks like it has decent hardware - but the software on it is useless for me. I have several thousand ebooks - and without having some way to group them I cannot use them on the Kobo. So I will really not use it before I can somehow fix this major weakness.

One way to fix it is to use another firmware written for the same hardware - that is what I will try first.

Asking if someone else is considering this - what is wrong about that?

I asked an honest question - sorry if some people got offended...
Old 05-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
Gadgetguy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSullivan View Post
I see what you're thinking/doing - wish I could afford to be that competent and "free" with my money.

Is the Netronix sold anywhere in Canada?
I am not sure. There are a number of companies who offer ebooks manufactured by Netronix, and most (probably all) ship to Canada. The problem is that their ebooks are quite expensive.

I will see if I am able to fix the problems of the Kobo - otherwise I will return it (I am on a limited budget) and I will get either a smaller sony e-reader or I wait a bit (to save some more) and I get an Ipad.

But I think that with some tinkering I should be able to customize the firmware of one of the multiple Netronix ebooks out there.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #10
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Quote:
Forget if other people got offended. It's people like you who give us better products in the long run.

Keep at it pal.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
pholy
Booklegger

I wasn't offended. I just wanted you to know that it won't be as easy as finding another firmware binary and loading it into the Kobo. The 2440 cpu chip has many jumper selectable options that change the memory address layouts, and Netronix takes full advantage of this. Check the photos at http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Device/EB600/Photos to see some of the various boards that all look pretty much alike on the outside.

Fear not, you are not the only one working on new Netronix firmware.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Troll type question!

Hands up how many people buy a MacBook and the first thing they do is install Windows XP?!?
Hand in the air. :-) VM images for software tests.

But I agree about the trolling. On the other hand I am curious about the Kobo's OS.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Go for it! If it worked better, I'd use it, with appreciation.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Well, I have to say I am somewhat surprised by some of the replies.

I have purchased and used many gadgets in the past, and a significant part of them I never used stock: as soon as I got them I hacked them, replaced their firmware or modified them in some other way - as they better suited me that way.

The Kobo in its current version looks like it has decent hardware - but the software on it is useless for me. I have several thousand ebooks - and without having some way to group them I cannot use them on the Kobo. So I will really not use it before I can somehow fix this major weakness.

One way to fix it is to use another firmware written for the same hardware - that is what I will try first.

Asking if someone else is considering this - what is wrong about that?

If you want a device that allows folders and is a really nice reader (although it is more than twice as expensive) you should look at the Onyx Boox 60.

The Kobo is a very nice *basic* reader. Folders or tags would be a nice addition but for $149 I don't expect that out of the box.

Writing hacks is beyond my technical capabilities but I wouldn't hesitate to try out any hacks for the Kobo.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
buddyralph
buddyralph began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader Edition
It's been nearly a month since the last post... I was just wondering if there'd been any progress updating /hacking the Kobo.
buddyralph is offline   Reply With Quote