Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
New E-Ink displays...err...displayed!

I just stumbled across this, and thought I'd pass it on.
http://www.slashgear.com/e-ink-next-...demos-2082480/

Some demos for the next generation of E-Ink. Some may be interested.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I think about 2010 Christmas or 2011 Spring i will be ready to replace my Kindle 1... and I will certainly hold out for a device with these new screens. I hope and expect it will be a Kindle 3.

Thanks for the video.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nice, but notice that the screen refresh time appears to be of the order of about 5s! Very definitely still a prototype.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

I was personally hoping to see a side-by-side of the new Vizplex and the old version, so the supposed contrast difference could be seen. Too bad about the release date and the general slogginess of their demo unit, but oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nice, but notice that the screen refresh time appears to be of the order of about 5s! Very definitely still a prototype.
It's not even a prototype device, but just a portable screen demo. E-Ink/PVI isn't doing the hardware outside the screen itself. Speed of underlying hardware/software will be the responsibility of other companies.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 04-20-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wonder if some of that was loading the animation... because it seemed to be pretty fluid... which would talk to refresh rate of the screen.

I think they are going to need faster memory and controllers to really use the potential of this screen.

As you said, it is a very early prototype.

BOb
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Looking at that animation, what would you estimate its frame rate was? 2 or 3 frames a second, it looked like to me. That speed could probably be achieved with current devices, especially using partial refresh of a small area of the screen. Hold down the page turn button of a Sony PRS-600 and it flips pages at about 3 or 4 pages a second.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quote:
Looking at that animation, what would you estimate its frame rate was? 2 or 3 frames a second,
Right, so 3 fps means the refresh time is much less than 5s. As I said, I think the time was in loading the animation.

But, I am more interested in the increased contrast than the ability to play animations.

BOb
Old 04-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Looking at that animation, what would you estimate its frame rate was? 2 or 3 frames a second, it looked like to me. That speed could probably be achieved with current devices, especially using partial refresh of a small area of the screen. Hold down the page turn button of a Sony PRS-600 and it flips pages at about 3 or 4 pages a second.
Partial refreshes are going much faster than 2-3fps. The speaker said that the animations can be done on the existing Vizplex as well.

The emphasis was greater contrast.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Doesn't look like it will do enough for me to want e-ink for my work reading (would pretty much have to catch LCD speed for that).

And my K1 will be fine for novel reading indefinitely.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Ill be SID in Seattle in May so Ill make sure to get more info.

Current vizplex does display animation.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the increase in contrast is the first step to color adoption since it allows them to add the filter layers while maintaining current "acceptable" contrast levels overall.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Yes the second demo is more important (I think) with the plastic display starting next year and at the very,very end, colour filters.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Demonstrator: "...almost doubling the contrast."
Clueless Tech journo: "And the advantage of that is better legibility outside in the daylight?"
The advantage of higher contrast ratio is better legibility inside and in conditions where the light is dim. eInk has never had a problem in full daylight.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #14
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I'm more impressed by this than any e-ink devices I've seen, apart, of course, from the prs 505. If they get it up and running for a reasonable price, and I have the money at the time, I might consider this: the contrast is the big selling factor.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Looking at that animation, what would you estimate its frame rate was? 2 or 3 frames a second, it looked like to me.
It looks more like ~10 fps to me.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote