Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 02:44 AM   #1
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kindle firmware update 2.3.3 available

There is an update available at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200324680

I was able to uninstall the screensaver hack and font hack, then install the update. Then reinstall the two hacks. And all seems good.

No idea what the update does.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
The new update sure has made my Kindle DX start up faster. I was starting to think it had "nook" firmware on it after the last update.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 05:59 AM   #3
raven312
Enthusiast
raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 2
I can't see a difference yet, either. At first, it looked like my screen was lighter but it darkened as the text populated. I'm glad I was able to reinstall my favorite font. I would really love to know what this update is all about.
raven312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Thanks for the tip. I downloaded and applied the update. I had 2.3 and have, so far, not seen any difference. I guess there should only be bugfixes when it is only the third digit changed in the version.

But while the update were in progress I had the kindle flat on the desk beside the keyboard. So I did see all the stages it went trough and when it first came up with an empty content my heart almost stopped. But a second later all my old content showed up again.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm confused. When I follow the manual directions it says to go to Menu and Settings and check the number in the lower right to determine which version you have.

Mine says 2.3 but is that the same as 2.3.3?

I'm unsure which version to download as 2.3 does not match any of the examples of whether it it U.S. International, etc. I'm relatively certain it's U.S. but hey....

EDIT: I went ahead and downloaded the U.S. version and manually installed it and now if
I go to the Menu->Settings page the lower right says 2.3.3.

Last edited by kennyc; 02-13-2010 at 08:00 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
changes with 2.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem2bits View Post

No idea what the update does.
That spinning wheel in the upper left every time it awakes, not letting you even open a book for awhile, has been improved to very little time.

Much less time closing a book and opening one. That wheel was spinning all the time after update 2.3.

When you rotate the DX, you have to tilt it a bit further before it auto-rotates, Hooray! :-) And it is faster changing orientation now back and forth.

All the delays v2.3 put in seem to be gone.

These may all be in my imagination but this is what I'm seeing.

By the way 3 alt-g's will tend to lighten up a DX screen at least, true for awhile.

- Andrys
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvshihtzu View Post
The new update sure has made my Kindle DX start up faster. I was starting to think it had "nook" firmware on it after the last update.
So maybe I'm not crazy. I thought mine booted up faster after this update too!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Downloaded, applied, cant really see anything significant...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
LenEdgerly
LenEdgerly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I can't seem to uninstall my screensaver hack. It shows up as + SSi 0.1 on Settings view. I have tried to copy Update_kindle2_restore_default_screen_savers.bin to the root of my Kindle, when I update my Kindle, my custom screensavers are still there. I also tried copying a file in my hacks folder named update_uninstall.bin . No luck. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
LenEdgerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

I received a response to an earlier e-mail (to Kindle Customer Service regarding slowness after last update) a few days ago. Customer Service said that my Kindle DX slowness would be fixed with this newest update. And it is! My husband's Kinde2 is running faster too.

Happy Dance!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvshihtzu View Post
I received a response to an earlier e-mail (to Kindle Customer Service regarding slowness after last update) a few days ago. Customer Service said that my Kindle DX slowness would be fixed with this newest update. And it is! My husband's Kinde2 is running faster too.

Happy Dance!

I'm curious though, what in particular was slow?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenEdgerly View Post
I can't seem to uninstall my screensaver hack. It shows up as + SSi 0.1 on Settings view. I have tried to copy Update_kindle2_restore_default_screen_savers.bin to the root of my Kindle, when I update my Kindle, my custom screensavers are still there. I also tried copying a file in my hacks folder named update_uninstall.bin . No luck. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
Are you still on firmware 2.0.x? You might try installing the 0.4 version (the were several bug fixes) on top of the 0.1 version then un-installing it.

You can download the files here.

Strike all of that. I just checked my K2 and I also have SSi 0.1. for my 2.3 update. I now realize that you may not have the correct uninstall bin file. The latest hacks don't include a restore default screen_savers bin file. I'm guessing you own a K2 U.S. so you should be using "update_screensaverhack-uninstall-K2.bin" which you can find here. If you have K2 International, the correct uninstall bin can be found at the same link.

Last edited by daffy4u; 02-14-2010 at 07:20 AM. Reason: So much mis-information. :)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:12 AM   #13
luvshihtzu
Groupie

kennyc,
Startup is much faster going from the Home page to get where I can open a new book or the one I was previously reading. If I was just starting up where I left off in a previous book, the slowness wasn't as noticeable. Change over to other functions is faster. I deleted one item today and that is much faster. My DX was really hanging up on deletes.

Last edited by luvshihtzu; 02-14-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:04 AM   #14
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
It starts up almost immediately now - and no 'opening' while waiting - there just isnt time. Others have reported the cursor works much more quickly now.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:39 AM   #15
luvshihtzu
Groupie

Seems like there are a lot of happy people over on Amazon Kindle Discussion Forums raving about the newest update and how much faster their Kindles are running. Some Kindle owners are claiming a darker print after the update. I am not sure about it being a whole lot darker for me, but it could just be the book I am currently reading.