bremler began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
LRF italics

Hello all, I'm not quite sold on epub just yet -

(a) no right-hand justification,
(b) those page numbers ruining the layout
(c) the font seems fainter compared to lrf
(d) slower page screen turn compared to lrf

lrfs work fine, except for one issue which is driving me mad. Italics - is it just me or after each italicised word there is an extra space? e.g.

<i>this</i> crayon

shows up with an extra space between this and crayon even when there is none in the html. Is it just me?

another example, when you have an exclamation mark straight after the word

"<i>That's what I said</i>!"

This will create a big gap between said and ! and it just looks bad.

Also the fact that they are not true italics, just slanted, can this be fixed somehow by embedding italic fonts...? I'm not sure how to do it, just throwing it out there.

Other than that I'd like to keep using lrf on my sony 505, but always on the lookout for other e-readers which could handle epub without the above issues (epub can do true italics fine)

Last edited by bremler; 01-08-2010 at 05:45 AM.
bremler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bremler View Post
Also the fact that they are not true italics, just slanted, can this be fixed somehow by embedding italic fonts...? I'm not sure how to do it, just throwing it out there.
I believe that it's possible, by replacing the default fonts on the Reader with your own fonts. See the among the sticky threads in the Customization sub-forum, as a number of people went down this route a while ago although while I did reflash my Reader for other reasons, I've not been concerned enough to permanently modify my fonts so have no direct experience of that particular process.

-The thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43824 might be of interest, too.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
bremler
Enthusiast

Thankyou, so it is possible to have true italics within lrf instead of the default slant if I embed italicised fonts? This makes me happy....now for some more reading and experimenting.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've taken to italicising most adjacent punctuation when editing and converting LRF. This makes the text look much better, though is not a perfect fix.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
bremler
Enthusiast

Yes, I had considered this too, to fix the gap issue, but wanted to remain true to the original text. But hopefully this will be unecessary (no compromising) if i can get embedding true italics to work under lrf.
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Keep us posted, bremler.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bremler View Post
Thankyou, so it is possible to have true italics within lrf instead of the default slant if I embed italicised fonts? This makes me happy....now for some more reading and experimenting.
Be warned - embedding fonts in an LRF file can drastically slow down page rendering. It's fine for titles, etc, but I think you'll find that using an embedded font for the "body text" of a book is unbearably slow.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
bremler
Enthusiast

HarryT, thanks for the warning. My heads swimming right now....so much procedure to follow, and there's always the fear of bricking it...will have to return to it another day with more patience and a clear head.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry - let me clarify. Changing the fonts on the Reader itself has no speed impact. It's only embedding fonts in a book that does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
bremler
Enthusiast

I'm warming more to epubs especially seeing what can be accomplished in Zelda's post. The page turns aren't so bad...I'll perhaps sheepishly jump ship with lrfs....and embrace the future
Old 01-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Have you read this thread?
Basically it allows you to load and choose any fonts you like (including proper italics!!) as the default font for reading epub ebooks.

sherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #12
bremler
Enthusiast

Hi Sherman, yes, I had known that epubs were able to contain proper italics, but previously shunned epub for the reasons above. This post was more to do with LRF files and how they (Sony) handle italics - I conclude not very well.

However, the last few days have been reading up on, and experimenting with epub using Sigil editor, and now I'm a convert. The above limitations are tolerable in favour of font customisation, and nifty tricks like word wrapping around images. Although I'm still eager to hear of any ebook readers that handle epub with a render that is not ADE..... ?