Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
Cucu
Cucu began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook mini
Bebook mini anyone?

Hi want to buy this ebook reader, there is someone that use it? Can you give me a personal opinion?
Thanks in advance
Cucu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It is the same as the Astak. I would recommend the Sony 300 over it. It does handle more formats though and has mp3 player....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why would you recommend the Sony, Kenny, as a matter of interest?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why would you recommend the Sony, Kenny, as a matter of interest?

Well, I just replied to another Astak PP thread that was wanting to know the issue with the PP UI. -- That's the main reason. I just feel - at least for me -- the Sony usability is better. It doesn't have all the features (mp3, file-type support) but is much more usable IMO.

The UI on the PP is awkward, but certainly usable. My understanding is that the UI/software for the BeBook is the same as for the Astak PP. If that is not the case then all bets are off.

Price is about the same of course.

I also feel the 5" screen is a bit small. I really would recommend at least a 6" screen.

Hope that answers the question.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The UI on the PP is awkward, but certainly usable. My understanding is that the UI/software for the BeBook is the same as for the Astak PP. If that is not the case then all bets are off.
No, you're absolutely right - it's basically the same firmware.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The BeBook Mini is the same as the EZ Reader Pocket Pro (both are Hanlin V5s). There are lots of threads about the Pocket Pro in the EZ Reader forum. See for example My Review of Astak 5" Pocket Pro and, for the warts, see A different question, do you regret your Pocket Pro Purchase?. Note that the BeBook won't have the paint issues because it does not sell colored versions.

Some have not been happy with the number based user interface and the inconsistent level of support between ebook formats. On the other hand there have been a huge number of Hanlin V3s sold world wide and the V5 is a hardware upgrade over the V3 with a smaller screen. I recommend the V5 as a well constructed device with a SDHC card slot for expansion and good firmware that is being constantly improved.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Ebiumn
Connoisseur
Ebiumn doesn't litterEbiumn doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle Voyage
Sony 300 also has a 5" screen, not a 6" screen as you suggest
Ebiumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebiumn View Post
Sony 300 also has a 5" screen, not a 6" screen as you suggest

I never suggested otherwise. I did say that a 6" screen would be preferable to either the bebook or sony 300
Old 11-30-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It would depend on what you use it for. I think a 6" would be too large for me.

I went for the BeBook Mini, first because of the expandable memory card slot, second because it's a Dutch firm (stupid reason, I know, but still ) and third because it has the smallest form factor.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It would depend on what you use it for. I think a 6" would be too large for me.

I went for the BeBook Mini, first because of the expandable memory card slot, second because it's a Dutch firm (stupid reason, I know, but still ) and third because it has the smallest form factor.

Hee-hee. Good a reason as any. They just today kicked off a "Buy Colorado" campaign here.

To be honest, that size-factor was a primary reason for my buying the Pocket Pro. I just wanted to see how well it would work for me.

Tags
bebook mini