Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Can't remember the name of this book - sorry, only vague references

OK, I'm not one usually asking for help on something like this; usually, I have a great memory for books and have helped out a number of people. Here goes - and what I remember is REALLY vague:

It's a very, very thick trade paper edition with a red (?) cover. It was published within the last 5 years and takes place in India (?) It's his first novel.

It's all about the exploits of some kind of adventurer, who gets caught up in some kind of mob, narcotics - you name, this character has done it; (and he MAY have the same name as the author, so it MAY be some kind of "fictionalized" non-fiction novel ??)

The book has polarized readers. Some love it for the sheer adventure of the writing. Other people hate it because it's so unbelievable and seems to have schmaltzy philosophizing.

If you can help, I'll mail you a cookie left over from last month, but recently discovered behind the oven.

Amazon carries the book, but I neglected to write it down.

Thanks in advance,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Dr.

It doesn't have a red cover, but it does have red letters as the title:

Shantaram: A Novel by Gregory David Roberts

I remember this one because someone here recommended it and I've placed it on my GoodReads "To Be Read" list.

Amazon link
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
ssimon2000
ssimon2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Here's some guesses, based on your description:

Sahara by Clive Cussler (older by just republished with a red cover)
Sagramanda by Alan Dean Foster
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (that's my best guess - red lettering, 920 pages long, and Indian mobsters/money laundering)
ssimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The cover of the Shantaram paperback has a lot of red on the cover.
http://www.amazon.com/Shantaram/dp/1...3YZ4378TWQ0DJN
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
Dr.

It doesn't have a red cover, but it does have red letters as the title:

Shantaram: A Novel by Gregory David Roberts

I remember this one because someone here recommended it and I've placed it on my GoodReads "To Be Read" list.

Amazon link

That's the one! Thank you all for helping out.

I very much appreciate everyone's help.

Don
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Do we get a non-spoiler book report on the backside?
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It's a very, very thick trade paper edition with a red (?) cover.
LOL. When i worked as a librarian, there regularly were people that would ask about titles and all they could remember was the cover image/colour.

Funny.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
LOL. When i worked as a librarian, there regularly were people that would ask about titles and all they could remember was the cover image/colour.

Funny.

I worked for about 20 years as a bookseller. We always had customers who would come in after watching something on one of the talk shows, sayiing things like this: "I don't remember the author or the title, but it has a green cover."

I wanted to reply (never did, though, due to my Southern upbringing): "Listen! I have to work for a living. Do you think I sit at home all day on my fat "behind" watching talkshows? I have to work, lady! Now get outta here!"

Well....I'm exaggerating slightly. But I sometimes like to rock the boat here on MobileRead. Especially, since some people here (Sorry, can't mention names), are little old stick-in-the-muds.

Seriously, I always joked with the rest of the staff that if only we could hire "little people" to work the lower shelves - especially when doing Returns. (Botta-Bing.)

But really seriously...I understand exactly what you mean. I also worked at a University library. However, in my experience, the more obnoxious customers frequented the public books stores.

Well, gotta go. There's some idiot looking for a book on how to carve a cat! (What does that mean? Such crazy people, sometimes!)

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-09-2009 at 06:57 AM.