Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
Bushcat
Bushcat began at the beginning.

Device: none
A4, touchscreen, Japanese, 3G?

I'm looking for an A4-ish device, with touchscreen, supporting Japanese (or DBCS in general) and European languages, with 3G connectivity for over-the-air updates. It's possible that I'd be purchasing the device in large quantities, possibly large enough to develop custom firmware.

The obvious guys would be Jinke, but I've had no success in getting a response from the company. I've also spoken with Plastic Logic, but that seems to be a UK-based company with a US-based marketing office, and no interest in any market outside the US right now. Finally, I've used the Toppan/Fujitsu color touchscreen device, but its contrast ratio is around 7:1 and screen refresh is a whopping 15 seconds.

I also note that most of the current crop of A4 devices were announced in 2007, yet they don't seem to be coming to market. Has anyone seen a Netronix EB900, for example?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of previously-answered questions, I've read as much of the site as I can, and searching for "A4", of course, doesn't work!
Bushcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:14 AM   #2
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
If you have the money, this may be just what you have been looking for.

Brother SV-100B
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
Bushcat
Bushcat began at the beginning.

Device: none
The Brother's big, heavy, only 4 shades of grey, and expensive. The company makes robust stuff, though.
Bushcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:58 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've not heard of any devices with A4 screens. Most of the announcements have been about devices with 10" screens, and that's only A5. A device with an A4 screen would be seriously big!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
The 10" screens are well able to cope with displaying A4 PDF documents however.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert