Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
csskkai
Enthusiast
csskkai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600
Sony PRS-505 versus the newer 700

There probably has been pictures uploaded already comparing the two, but here are my pictures. I hope they help.
They were taken with a light directly above them. I think they're a good depiction of the differences between the two. Honestly, besides the 700 being a little more green, there isn't much to complain about. The glare on the 700 may be a problem for some people, but compared to the 505, they're not that different.

700 is a bit bulkier...
csskkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
I don't think the 700 is remotely as good. The extra screen or the glare or the slightly lighter text just does not even compare to the clearness of the 505 imo. Would not get the 700.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The 700 looks blurry to me.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:34 AM   #4
Rules.r
Rules.r began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700?
OT-
Someones reading Sookie Stackhouse!

On Topic-
I am going with the 700 I think because the readability is not that markedly different, and the touchscreen and search functions are prime.

Last edited by Rules.r; 03-31-2009 at 01:35 AM. Reason: OT added :)
Rules.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:52 AM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Thanks for the comparisons! I think these are the best pictures I've seen so far comparing the two. You're right, I don't think the clarity is markedly different (based on these pics), but I can see that the 505 is clearer.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Seeing these makes me glad that I chose the 505. It seems to have more contrast and be just a bit easier. Actually, I didn't want a touch screen as it requires too much hand movement to get things done. I really like having the page-turn buttons, especially having one on each side so no matter how I'm holding the reader my finger is right there, ready to make the turn.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Looks markedly different to me, horrible
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
For myself, the 505 looks clearer and I need that clarity
(myopic, astigmatism, focus).

I also like the button placement on my 505..
the page turn buttons and the side buttons.

I didn't need the touchscreen so choosing
the 505 was the right choice for me.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, 700, comparison, pictures, sony