Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #601
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
I'd like to read this again now that I'm an adult and see if it was as good as I remember. Any ideas?
I don't know what it is, but it sounds like something I would like to read.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #602
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't know what it is, but it sounds like something I would like to read.

BOb
Sounds good to me also.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #603
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I'd like to read this again now that I'm an adult and see if it was as good as I remember. Any ideas?
Your description is tickling my memory. I can't decide if I have read it, or if it elements of other books are combining into this one. Any idea of when it was written?

Two books did come to mind. The first is "Tunnel in the Sky" by Robert Heinlein. From memory, it is a good match except that I don't think it had the virtual environments. The other book I thought of is "Rite of Passage" by Alexei Panshin. That isn't it, but the training and testing kids brought it to mind.

And I'm with the others. I hope someone identifies it as I it sounds interesting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #604
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
From the description definitely not Tunnel in the Sky.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #605
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Sounds Asimov to me :-)

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #606
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:
Here's one I read as a teenager... I'm guessing it's in the Young Adult genre, probably SF?

Set in a future earth, characters in the books are assigned different jobs after high school. The protagonist gets a job which she? (I think?) thought would be disappointing. What ends up happening is that this character ends up working with a group of maybe a dozen others exploring virtual worlds. They are hooked into a variety of equipment and have to face different challenges in the virtual worlds. They may live in the virtual world for a long time, days perhaps? However, when someone makes a (fatal) mistake, they all wake up. Some examples of such mistakes are eating poisonous berries (they saw birds eating them, so should be alright, right?), falling off a cliff, etc.

In the end they find out that they were part of a secret training project to colonize a distant planet. There were many such groups involved in training and they are all blasted off to a new planet, which has similar environments to their training worlds, but is significantly harsher. The various groups must learn to survive and cooperate with one another. I seem to remember some fighting, eventual peace and propagation of the human race through children.

Sounds like Invitation to the Game written by Monica Hughes.

Quote:
From Publishers Weekly:

What begins as a chilling glimpse into the not-too-distant future evolves into an exultant, life-affirming balm for mankind. Ten graduates of the class of 2154 are assigned (condemned, actually) by the government to a routine of unemployment and ostracism in this overcrowded future of robotized services and thought police. The 10 stumble upon
a secretive and elite contest that promises to raise their status should they win. But by the time they discover that "The Game" is really a government plot to colonize other planets with the youth of their world, it's too late.

This bold and incisive parable for the future will by turns terrify and enchant both science fiction enthusiasts and readers concerned about the earth's fate. A moving epilogue chronicles the way that the group pools its diverse skills to create a better civilization in a pristine land. Hughes engenders an aura of optimism and hope that will both comfort and inspire. Ages 12-up.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #607
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
Thank you! (not my request)

I've found that this was recently republished as "The Game" available in the Kindle store for $.50 less than the paperback.

Bought!

BOb
Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #608
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
THANK YOU, that sounds like it!

Strangely enough, I had this vague suspicion that "Game" was in the title but it was so generic I wasn't sure if it was correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Thank you! (not my request)

I've found that this was recently republished as "The Game" available in the Kindle store for $.50 less than the paperback.

Bought!

BOb
Hope you enjoy it. Not sure if I remembered it correctly, or if it was even all that good, but I guess you'll find out!

Last edited by Kralik; 12-20-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #609
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It sounds interesting. Doesn't seem to be available as an eBook in the UK, unfortunately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #610
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I have some fond memories of Monica Hughes myself - Crisis on Conshelf 10 and its later sequel Earthdark were important early SF experiences for me.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #611
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
A pre-order:
"This title will be auto-delivered to your Kindle on December 31, 2030."
Er . . . 2030?
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #612
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Why Not? View Post
A pre-order:
"This title will be auto-delivered to your Kindle on December 31, 2030."
Er . . . 2030?
Oh... NO! I just got a package from Amazon... guess what, I mistakenly ordered the paper back version. The ebook version is pre-order as stated above.

So, not sure if I should return the paper book, read it, or just donate it to the school and order the kindle version. Yea, I really don't like reading paper books any more.

BOb
Old 12-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #613
tarzanphan60
Enthusiast
tarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Nook Color, Tablet, HD, HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
yes, that's it - thank you!
I'd be interested to hear what you think of it when you are done reading it.
tarzanphan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #614
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzanphan60 View Post
I'd be interested to hear what you think of it when you are done reading it.
it's a gift for my husband - we'll see if he likes it.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #615
flourish
Enthusiast
flourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura about

Device: kindle NT, Samsung galaxy reverb
This is probably a silly request, but it's been annoying me lately that I can't remember what the title of this book is.

It was a romance novel about a woman who has an affair with a Swedish king (I think) sometime between the 16th-18th centuries. I want to say the woman's name was Kristen/Christina or something similar and she was a redhead. I read it when I was around 12 so it had to be published before 1997, but the paperback copy I had was old, so I would think it was probably originally published in the 70s-80s.

Sound familiar to anyone?
flourish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths