Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Updated Contentbrowser with FBReader support

Attached is an updated content browser with FBReader support. It will allow you to open the following file extensions directly from the content browser without having to navigate through FBReader's menus.
  • chm
  • rtf
  • oebzip
  • opf
  • epub
  • fb2
  • tcr
  • zip

To install, download and unzip the ContentBrowser.zip file to your computer. Copy the programs folder to the root of your card. Select Update Contentbrowser on your DR1000. The new ctb will be installed, and your DR will reboot. When it comes back, you will be able to open files without starting FBReader first.

It now includes an FBReader icon for all supported files.

You can use the "Restore" icon to reinstall the original ctb.

The (very slightly) modified ctb sources are attached as well.

2/9/2009 Update: Viacheslav has updated the program to use the 1.5 content browser sources. The update is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ctb-1.5-patched.zip (61.2 KB, 899 views)
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Thanks adam. It works as described!
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't have a DR1000S to check, but on the iLiad your "oeb" was for .oeb and OEB ebooks are usually in .oebzip files (I don't think .oeb works with FBReader).

In addition, I suggest adding .zip as a FBReader file format. This is obviously a very generic file type, but FBReader can handle any ebook format it supports inside a .zip file. So you can then ZIP any single file that FBReader nominally supports but which isn't setup that way in the registry (e.g. .pdb, .txt, .htm) and it will be opened by FBReader from the .zip file. This is particularly good for DRM-free ebooks currently handled by MobiPocket Reader, .mobi and .prc obviously but also .pdb (FBReader handles more .pdb ebook types than MobiPocket Reader does).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I don't have a DR1000S to check, but on the iLiad your "oeb" was for .oeb and OEB ebooks are usually in .oebzip files (I don't think .oeb works with FBReader).

In addition, I suggest adding .zip as a FBReader file format. This is obviously a very generic file type, but FBReader can handle any ebook format it supports inside a .zip file. So you can then ZIP any single file that FBReader nominally supports but which isn't setup that way in the registry (e.g. .pdb, .txt, .htm) and it will be opened by FBReader from the .zip file. This is particularly good for DRM-free ebooks currently handled by MobiPocket Reader, .mobi and .prc obviously but also .pdb (FBReader handles more .pdb ebook types than MobiPocket Reader does).
Thanks for the info. I've updated the first post.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

I've updated the first post with icon support.

I can't imagine any more updates, go ahead and install this one.
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Wonderful
This makes things much simpler for me. thanks Adam.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Adam,
I have one problem. After updating the content browser, the Settings function (shortcut?) is missing. The only way I can get it back is by uninstalling your content browser. It doesn't show on the Home page).

Is this a bug?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
attila
attila began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr1000s
Very cool, thanks again.

Is it intentional that only one FBReader process can be running? And clicking on another file which is supported by FBReader it does not seem to be doing much...
attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Adam,
I have one problem. After updating the content browser, the Settings function (shortcut?) is missing. The only way I can get it back is by uninstalling your content browser. It doesn't show on the Home page).

Is this a bug?
That's really odd. I'm not sure why it's not showing up.

As a workaround, unzip the attached shortcut to your memory card, and you can access settings from there.
Attached Files
File Type: zip settings.zip (287 Bytes, 508 views)
Old 11-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Very cool, thanks again.

Is it intentional that only one FBReader process can be running? And clicking on another file which is supported by FBReader it does not seem to be doing much...
That's likely a result of this being a quick port without any ties to iRex's libraries. I'll have to work on that for a future version.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
pthwaite
Fanatic

Thanks Adam.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #12
Tomek
Enthusiast
Tomek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quick question regarding the FBReader port. iRex claims that Mobipocket dictionary lookup works with all document types. Does it also work with current port of FBReader?
Tomek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek View Post
Quick question regarding the FBReader port. iRex claims that Mobipocket dictionary lookup works with all document types. Does it also work with current port of FBReader?
No. Dictionary lookup will only work with iRex's internal document viewer. If you port FBReader's supported formats to the UDS, it'll work, but not with FBReader itself.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #14
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Adam,

Is this a bug?
Same here, just tried it now, and the "Settings" shortcut disappeared. Checked the card on my PC, the .desktop file is simply gone. N.B.: It is even gone when "safely remove"ing the SD card... i.e. from the internal file system.

Tried the workaround (copy .desktop file back to card) Only shows up in Home as a generic icon (like FBReader, Sudoku etc.)

Ended up restoring standard Content Browser, managing FBReader-supported formats from within FBReader is fine by me anyway. Looking forward to perhaps having the interface use the standard menu some day though.
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #15
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
Adam: the problem is the way you ./configured CTB.

You need to use the following options:
./configure --host=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr

In this case, the system cannot find the /etc/ folder because you didn't pass the correct --sysconfdir and it now searches in /usr/etc.

So a simple re-compile with those configure options should solve this issue with the desktop.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote