Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #16
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Thanks! Those are great suggestions. And quite a few of them are here! I'll try some of them. I was toying with the idea of dl'ing the Haggard omnibi anyway.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I've been spending too long in the Lounge - I read that as "The Prisoner of ZeLda"
Hahahahaahaha!!! I love it!!!

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #18
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
one of my all-time favorite books is a book called Shibumi by Trevanian, and imagine my surprise to discover it's available at both BoB and fictionwise. it definitely has all sorts of action, although you wouldn't think so from the publisher description.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Trevanian is a excellent author. Another one of his books is "The Eiger Sanction", which was made into a pretty good film with Clint Eastwood.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #20
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Unless you have a very strong tolerance for kinky sex and BDSM you might want to start Ringo's series with the second book, Kildar. Ringo himself has repeatedly said that he wrote Ghost because he couldn't write anything else until it was finished and he had no intention of publishing it.
And it got him disinherited by his mother, who recommended her son's book to patrons at her beauty parlor without realizing what it was.

On the other hand, it did well enough to spawn a popular series. (And there is plenty of BDSM and kinky sex in the subsequent books. The hero is invincible in bed as well as on the battlefield.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #21
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Thanks! Those are great suggestions. And quite a few of them are here! I'll try some of them. I was toying with the idea of dl'ing the Haggard omnibi anyway.
You can start with _King Solomon's Mines_, which got a neat movie version starring Deborah Kerr and Stewart Granger in 1950, among other adaptations.
______
Dennis
Old 11-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
You can start with _King Solomon's Mines_, which got a neat movie version starring Deborah Kerr and Stewart Granger in 1950, among other adaptations.
______
Dennis
That being the first book in the first volume of my Haggard series, it is indeed a most logical place to start! It is also - IMHO - one of the finest adventure stories ever written.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #23
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That being the first book in the first volume of my Haggard series, it is indeed a most logical place to start! It is also - IMHO - one of the finest adventure stories ever written.
Indeed. And if you don't like that, Haggard probably isn't for you.

The Kerr/Granger film version took some liberties with the plot, adding a female lead and romance between her and Allan Quartermain, but it's a lot of fun.

And recent archaeology reports indicate they might just have found the site of the real King Solomon's mines.
______
Dennis
Old 11-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #24
MdB
Advocate/Initiate
MdB doesn't litterMdB doesn't litter

Device: Undecided
If we're just after some pulp action, is it too silly to mention Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt/NUMA adventures? Some fun mindless action in the same vein as a modern-day Indiana Jones, I believe. If you like those, I also encourage you to check out everything by James Rollins, and by Douglass Preston and Lincoln Child (co-authored and individual).
MdB.
MdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:48 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdB View Post
If we're just after some pulp action, is it too silly to mention Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt/NUMA adventures? Some fun mindless action in the same vein as a modern-day Indiana Jones, I believe. If you like those, I also encourage you to check out everything by James Rollins, and by Douglass Preston and Lincoln Child (co-authored and individual).
MdB.
All excellent suggestions, and I share your tastes! I especially enjoy the Preston and Child collaborations - I think my favourite one is "Riptide".
Old 11-06-2008, 04:59 AM   #26
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I'll second that motion regarding James Rollins and Clive Cussler. I just finished reading Deep Fathom by James Rollins and it was excellent. Everything you could want in an action/adventure book including earthquakes, mysterious artifacts, ancient ruins, Airforce Force one clamity and a bit of Indiana Jones style adventure.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #27
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Ditto on the Cussler, Rollins and Preston recommendations for mindless entertainment (and I mean that in the best possible way.)

And, the first four books of Paladin of Shadows are free from Baen!

*scampers off to download*

ETA: Whoa. Y'all weren't kidding about the dark edge to Ghost. Hrm, if it's part of a decent story, I can live with it; if it IS the story, this isn't my bag, baby.

Last edited by RWJ; 11-06-2008 at 10:48 PM.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Of course you could get the DVDs of the Disney series Talespin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote