Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #35476
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
No - I was born in '66. So I wouldn't have remembered that. This was probably '84 or '85. So I guess they've done it more than once. I didn't realize Amarillo's migration to the edge of town started so early. When I lived there, Westgate Mall had just opened out on Coulter and Soncy. While trying to look up some Amarillo history, it just popped up that Westgate was 30 years old back in October. Man I feel old....
The center of the downtown district looked like some 'after the end of the world' low budget TV show. Block after block of boarded up store fronts. I had heard that there was a renovation/gentrification turning those blocks into Yuppie housing planned, but when I was there they were just empty streets. Don't know if they were ever completed. I never got back to Amarillo until the mid'70's, and only passed through without looking around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've always wanted a tarantula, but the wife wouldn't hear of it. Just as well, I suppose. Certain breeds can be very dangerous. A local kid was blinded a few years ago after playing with one and then rubbing his eyes and getting the hairs in his eyes. Sad.
Gads! That's worse than keeping a pet lobster. At least you can eat the lobster... Sad about the kid, though. I never heard about poisonous or dangerous hairs before. Very interesting.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 01-18-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:55 AM   #35477
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The hairs aren't poisonous, but they are barbed; kind of like getting fiberglas fishhooks in your eyes. Releasing them seems to be a self-defense mechanism. Here's an ABC News story about one such incident.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #35478
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
The center of the downtown district looked like some 'after the end of the world' low budget TV show. Block after block of boarded up store fronts. I had heard that there was a renovation/gentrification turning those blocks into Yuppie housing planned, but when I was there they were just empty streets. Don't know if they were ever completed. I never got back to Amarillo until the mid'70's, and only passed through without looking around.

Gads! That's worse than keeping a pet lobster. At least you can eat the lobster... Sad about the kid, though. I never heard about poisonous or dangerous hairs before. Very interesting.

Stitchawl
I don't know what they did about housing, but as I recall, downtown Amarillo in the early '80's was mainly government offices, banks, the civic center, and St. Anthony's hospital. I know that St. Anthony's later merged with High Plains Baptist hospital to become Baptist St. Anthony's (BSA) and the last time I saw the place the size of the hospital downtown had about doubled - but I guess from what Google is telling me now, they've moved the whole mess out to Coulter (west edge of town). That looks to be a whole medical complex out there now. I also seem to recall part of downtown Amarillo being involved in a Route 66 restoration plan in...maybe the late '80's?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #35479
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Gads! That's worse than keeping a pet lobster. At least you can eat the lobster...
What's to stop you from eating the tarantula? These kids seem to find them to be quite tasty. Actually, they're considered quite a delicacy in many parts of the world, as the Wikipedia picture below by Mat Connolley attests.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	320px-Fried_spiders_Skuon_Cambodia.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	99598  
Old 01-18-2013, 04:02 AM   #35480
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What's to stop you from eating the tarantula?
Only my sanity...

Quote:
quite a delicacy[/url] in many parts of the world, as the Wikipedia picture below by Mat Connolley attests.
Very popular all over S.E. Asia. The school kids prefer the grubs as after-school snacks, and the adults like the crunchy salty ones when drinking beer. Our housekeeper/cook was a big jolly woman who always had a bag of grubs in the pocket and munched on them all day long. When she first started working for us, she brought some for us, and to be polite we did eat some. Very, very sweet, but I prefer Baklava. I ate fried grasshoppers, which tasted like salty burned popcorn. BUT I WILL NOT EAT SPIDERS! Here's a snapshot I took at one of the local street markets. Photographing them was more satisfying than eating them...

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bugs2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	99599  
Old 01-18-2013, 04:35 AM   #35481
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF

*backing out of this thread now.. just until all talk of spiders and eating little crawly things moves on to other topics*
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #35482
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
At the Australian open waiting for the men's game to start Sharapova v Venus just finished Baghdadus v Fererer up next. Pretty excited been a few years since I've been live
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #35483
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
...Here's a snapshot I took at one of the local street markets....
Yummy!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #35484
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Yummy!
Glad you think so. I'm gonna send you some when we move back there...
Do you prefer crunchy or smooth?

Stitchawl
Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #35485
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I crushed one(tarantula) with my tricycle once.

(one of my earliest memories)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #35486
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
The hairs aren't poisonous, but they are barbed; kind of like getting fiberglas fishhooks in your eyes. Releasing them seems to be a self-defense mechanism. Here's an ABC News story about one such incident.
Wow. I had no idea they did/could do that! Thanks!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #35487
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Wow. I had no idea they did/could do that! Thanks!
Me neither. I ain't gonna put tarantulas anywhere near my eyes ever again. In fact, I think 4.7 miles is the closest I will voluntarily allow one to approach... Maybe 4.9.

On the other hand, they DO make for a good excuse to drink a lot of wine and dance the Tarantella!

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 01-18-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #35488
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Appropos of nothing...

Spoiler:

Name:	spider-payment.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	99613

You need to click on it a few times to get it to a readable size.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #35489
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Appropos of nothing...
Chortles ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #35490
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I don't know what they did about housing, but as I recall, downtown Amarillo in the early '80's was mainly government offices, banks, the civic center, and St. Anthony's hospital. I know that St. Anthony's later merged with High Plains Baptist hospital to become Baptist St. Anthony's (BSA) and the last time I saw the place the size of the hospital downtown had about doubled - but I guess from what Google is telling me now, they've moved the whole mess out to Coulter (west edge of town). That looks to be a whole medical complex out there now. I also seem to recall part of downtown Amarillo being involved in a Route 66 restoration plan in...maybe the late '80's?
eegads! Baptists and Catholics cohabitating! What's next!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?