Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Soldier of the Mist by Gene Wolfe - UK ebook

I'd like to read this book and the sequels on ebook but it is apparently not available in the UK/Ireland. The sequels are both available on Amazon UK and Kobo but not the first book. Soldier of the Mist is available on Kobo US and Nook.

Has anyone got any idea why this book isn't available? Is there any way I can legally buy it? Why doesn't the publisher want my money?

This is the biggest annoyance with ebooks - lazy publishers not bothering to make their back catalogues available and then whining about piracy.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #2
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It might be worth dropping Tor an email. It looks to be the US editions of the second and third ones that we have in the UK, so it could be that they don't have the rights to the first one here, or it could just be an oversight.

I know none of them were available until relatively recently, because I had to buy the pb of Soldier of Sidon a year or two back.

My old Soldier of the Mist paperback is published by Futura/Orbit, and says the first UK pub - the same year - was by Gollancz, so it could be some horrible mess, but it could just as easily be that someone at Tor forgot to tick a box.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've contacted Tor UK but I don't really expect any reasonable explanation.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I emailed Tor US last year about the lack of Gene Wolfe ebooks in New Zealand, their reply was that they'd check with their rights department, and soon after all but a few of them became available here.

But I have noticed the geographical restrictions of other Tor US editions fluctuating from time to time, I don't know if it is due to other publishers disputing rights, or just metadata glitches.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
corroonb
Addict

That sounds promising. Thanks for posting.
Advert
Old 05-01-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
The books sounds like a movie I saw.

I have obtained it but not yet read it.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote