Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Rumor: KPW3 Coming Q2 2014

Just read this on Engadget. I have not yet purchased KPW2 and it looks like I'm going to hold out for KPW3 if this pans out.

Quote:
Amazon only just released a new Kindle Paperwhite e-reader two months ago, but we're already hearing rumors that a newer model is on the way. According to a new report from TechCrunch, the new version, to be released in early Q2 of next year, will boast a sharper 300-pixel-per-inch screen, allowing it to better compete with models like the Kobo Aura, which has a 265-ppi screen. (Not that Kobo's represents much of a threat to Amazon's book-selling empire.) Also it's worth noting that E Ink makes the displays for basically all these e-readers, so it seems unlikely that Amazon would hold an exclusive on a 300-ppi panel -- at least not for long.
There is a lot more on TechCrunch.

Quote:
In addition to a higher resolution screen, the new Paperwhite will be getting a few more hardware improvements. We’ve seen a prototype of the device which has a front screen that is flush with the edges of the device, rather than recessed, and is made out of very matte glass of some sort, not plastic. Despite moving to glass, the new units are said to be lighter than this year’s models.
Edit: I see this has already been posted in the News section.

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-24-2013 at 03:14 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Very interesting. I hope Amazon doesn't mimic Kobo i.e., releasing new hardware without fixing bugs or adding requested features. Specifically, the collections mess and the lack of the ability to install custom fonts, for starters.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
wlsinwi
Enthusiast
wlsinwi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Touch and Paperwhite1 and 2
Just read it too. While I have been in favor of improvements to the Paperwhite, I was dismayed to get the impression that the form factor is changing. It sounds that way from the description
"new Paperwhite will have a lighter design that mimics the new Kindle Fire HDX tablets, with chamfered edges, a rear power button and a glass screen that sits flush with the bezels."

I love my leather official Paperwhite case and would be loth to have to consider buying both a new Paperwhite AND a new case. I would have to consider whether it would be worth selling my gen 2 paperwhite this time again. We shall see..
wlsinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Front screen that is flush with the edges of the device

Sold!
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
One of the new PW 2014 features:

"A new custom font specially designed for reading on the device will be a major improvement. "
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Like I posted in the other thread, I heard this same rumor prior to the release of the 2013 Paperwhite and Fires. I guess since they missed the mark there, they now want us to believe this will be release in Q2 2014. First, they are describing and showing photos of what looks more like a Fire prototype than an eInk Kindle. I doubt an eInk with a flush glass face will sell well as eInk diehards tend to like the non-glossy look of Kindle screens. I also doubt Amazon will put buttons back on an eInk Kindle. I also think Amazon will stick with their early Fall (Q3) release dates. I think this rumor has little credibility. Probably just more blog crap.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Looks like people will finally have their hyphenation they want so badly.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Like I posted in the other thread, I heard this same rumor prior to the release of the 2013 Paperwhite and Fires. I guess since they missed the mark there, they now want us to believe this will be release in Q2 2014. First, they are describing and showing photos of what looks more like a Fire prototype than an eInk Kindle. I doubt an eInk with a flush glass face will sell well as eInk diehards tend to like the non-glossy look of Kindle screens. I also doubt Amazon will put buttons back on an eInk Kindle. I also think Amazon will stick with their early Fall (Q3) release dates. I think this rumor has little credibility. Probably just more blog crap.
No this looks like the real deal they saw the prototype and it even has a code name. Amazon is trying to catch up quickly they fell behind on their eInk thanks to Kobo for kicking it up a notch.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No this looks like the real deal they saw the prototype and it even has a code name. Amazon is trying to catch up quickly they fell behind on their eInk thanks to Kobo for kicking it up a notch.
You are correct. See my discussion of the "rumor" question here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227779
Old 11-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
The new form\design sounds horrid. I'm not a fan of the 2013 kindle fire's design at all. I do look forward to the increased resolution. I have lusted after the kobo aura HD for sometime now. If Amazon could make a kindle with a bigger screen and a higher resolution I'd be in heaven.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard

They do !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
The new form\design sounds horrid. I'm not a fan of the 2013 kindle fire's design at all. I do look forward to the increased resolution. I have lusted after the kobo aura HD for sometime now. If Amazon could make a kindle with a bigger screen and a higher resolution I'd be in heaven.
See the Kindle Fired HD 8.9" device. It has a larger screen and higher resolution than the iPad.

Some organization just did a "shootout" between the iPad and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 and you can read about it here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226384

Kindle won HANDS DOWN.

The exact contest is described here:

http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_ShootOut_3.htm

Here is their conclusion:

"Most impressive of all is the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, which has leapfrogged into the best performing Tablet display that we have ever tested, significantly out-performing the iPad Air in Brightness, Screen Reflectance, and high ambient light contrast, plus a first place finish in the very challenging category of Absolute Color Accuracy."

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-24-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Recessed screens are one of the great unsung heroes of out-of-the-box durability. No amount of chemical hardening will protect glass from like a millimeter or two buffer zone. Doesn't matter much, I suppose. If you're concerned about protection, you'll probably case it whether it's recessed or flush.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #13
AniaR
Enthusiast
AniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Recessed screens are one of the great unsung heroes of out-of-the-box durability. No amount of chemical hardening will protect glass from like a millimeter or two buffer zone. Doesn't matter much, I suppose. If you're concerned about protection, you'll probably case it whether it's recessed or flush.
So true! My Paperwhite spends so much time in my bag with all kinds of weird objects (pens, keyts etc.) that I would put it in a case anyway.

As for the new version, there's really nothing that they can add that would make me consider buying it. I'm absolutely in love with my PW2 and I'm sure I'm going to stick with it for a while!
AniaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The codename has been around since the K4, if you search for icewine here, you'll probably find a couple of mentions of it from those days...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-25-2013 at 08:57 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #15
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle(s)
Recessed screens can be problematic even with cases. If anything were to get inside the case, the case rubbing them against the screen happens much easier with non-recessed screens. In the past, softer case materials alone could scratch a non-recessed screen when pressure was applied on the case from the outside - although this particular worry has lessened in this gorilla glass day an age. But still, no amount of ape-like creatures will protect your glass if a small piece of something hard gets rubbing between the case and the screen.

With non-recessed screens I'd recommend screen protectors.

Last edited by fearindex; 11-25-2013 at 01:35 PM.
fearindex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
300 ppi, 3rd generation, good, kindle, paperwhite