Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
kaylalydia
kaylalydia began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Exclamation Nook Simple Touch Faulty Battery?

I got a Nook Simple Touch a week ago (exactly a week actually) and I tried using some people's advice in letting it drain if it had a high battery, but mine had no battery, so I just had to see how the battery did overnight. It did fine, it lost around two percent. By the end of the day of reading around an hour, it had dropped to 95%. The next day, I read for a couple of hours (4-5) and it dropped to 89%. However, to put in more books, since I had only put in three to test the nook, I left it plugged into the computer by accident for two days. I unplugged it after two days, and it said that the battery was 100%. I only viewed my library and left it to go to sleep. Around 8-10 hours later, I checked and the battery had gone down to 87% with no wi-fi on. Do I have a faulty battery? Please help!

Last edited by kaylalydia; 07-07-2012 at 10:41 AM.
kaylalydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I have had both the ST and the glow, and have never had this problem. You have a defective unit. Can you exchange it?
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
kaylalydia

Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
I have had both the ST and the glow, and have never had this problem. You have a defective unit. Can you exchange it?
Yes, but I'm afraid that it will be from the same defective batch. That's the only store I'm near, plus I'm going on vacation in a few days and going to use it on the airplane ride, and I can't risk having a faulty battery.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
It's too early to tell. I would suggest you power-cycle it (sometimes something gets stuck and doesn't let the CPU go to sleep) and give it a few days to see how it behaves.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Duze
Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, Nook Color (CM7), Nexus 7 (pre-ordered), GTab 7+ (sold)
The one time I had a problem with my NST was just after I charged it, I pulled out the plug which activated the touch screen to wake the device up. Unlike i normally do, I forgot to put the reader back into sleep mode, and left it sitting there for over 2 days. When I tried to use it after that time, the battery was completely drained, and I had to recharge it again to be able to use it.

Like I said this was the only time I have ever had a problem with the reader, and truth is I can only guessing what happened to it.
Duze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
kaylalydia

No, I have the automatic sleep mode thing that goes into sleep mode after two minutes, so I don't think I left it like that.
And, power-cycle it? How do you do that?

UPDATE: It went from 86% to 81% in about 2 hours with no reading and wi-fi off. :/
Old 07-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
my Nook seems to lose power faster than I'd expect at times. Other cycles run fine. I wondered if the sleep mode versus a true powered off state might be doing it.

I recharged recently at only 41% because of the weekend storms, and its not holding as long again. I guessed recharging too early might effect things, but when I know we might lose power, I want all my mobile devices topped up.

I'd also like to know how to power cycle. Does this mean run it until it stops and then refill a few times? I've found that helps some devices.
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylalydia View Post
No, I have the automatic sleep mode thing that goes into sleep mode after two minutes, so I don't think I left it like that.
And, power-cycle it? How do you do that?
Hold the power button until it shuts down. You will see a screen telling you to press the power button to turn it on again.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
My newest Nook, a Glow, started the fast drain thing. I recharged it and it drained just as fast. I let go to about 10%, which only took a day, then I charged it all the way to full using the charger. Once it had a full charge I shut it off and left it overnight. It's been holding a charge ever since.

This same problem was reported with other devices. I have an Aztec Pocket Pro that did the same thing when it was new. I used the same technique to recharge it and, although I truly believe the shutting it off part is probably magic thinking, both readers responded to it. The Pocket Pros were frequently reported to have trouble calibrating their batteries but it was usually corrected by going through several cycles to train them.

Or you might have a bad one.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
My newest Nook, a Glow, started the fast drain thing. I recharged it and it drained just as fast. I let go to about 10%, which only took a day, then I charged it all the way to full using the charger. Once it had a full charge I shut it off and left it overnight. It's been holding a charge ever since.

This same problem was reported with other devices. I have an Aztec Pocket Pro that did the same thing when it was new. I used the same technique to recharge it and, although I truly believe the shutting it off part is probably magic thinking, both readers responded to it. The Pocket Pros were frequently reported to have trouble calibrating their batteries but it was usually corrected by going through several cycles to train them.

Or you might have a bad one.
It takes at least 4 or 5 cycles for the battery to calibrate correctly. I hook up my Glow every other day to download books so I´ve never seen it go under 90%, reading for 5 hours with Glow on low power. If it doesn´t happen, reclaim your warranty. Wifi is better left off all the time, it´s a battery hog!
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
kaylalydia

Well, about my battery drain, before I had a chance to power cycle it, I topped it off because I had to go on vacation, and it has gone from 100% to 46% with around 4 hours of reading in two and a half weeks. Is that normal? The return policy for the store where I got it from expires tomorrow, so if it's not normal, I'll have to replace it quickly!