Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
luthar28
Enthusiast
luthar28 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ePub not using CSS

Okay, I'm pulling out my hair. For some reason, my latest conversion isn't registering the CSS. I've even copied and pasted the CSS from a successful conversion into this one...removed every chunk I could find...blah, blah...can't find the error.

Hell, the thing even validates just fine.

But when I open it in Sigil, for instance, the style sheet has only one entry. Plus, instead of the thirty chapters, it's only been spliced into 3 sections (and I can't even figure out what sets those three sections apart).

I know this is a very broad question -- but does anyone have any ideas of what I might've done wrong?
luthar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
luthar28
Enthusiast

And here's the CSS I'm using:

<style type="text/css" media="screen"><!--

img.sgc-1 {width:300px;
max-width:100%;}

.backcover {
height: auto;
max-width: 100%;
width: 600px;}

h3 {display: block;
font-size: 2em;
font-weight: bold;
margin-bottom: 0.83em;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 0.83em;
page-break-before: always;
text-align: center;
font-family: sans-serif;}

h3.Chapter {
text-align: right;
}

img.czp {
height: auto;
margin-top: 2em;
max-width: 40%;
width: 100px;
margin: auto;
}

.center1 {
display: block;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
margin-top: 0;
text-align: center;
}

p.chizine-body-indent- {
font-size: 1em;
margin-bottom: 0.3em;
margin-top: 0.3em;
text-align: left;
text-indent: 25pt;
}

.spacer {
margin-bottom: 1.2em;
}

p.chizine-body-no-indent- {
font-size: 1em;
margin-bottom: 0.3em;
margin-top: 0.3em;
text-align: left;
text-indent: 0pt;}

.smaller {
font-size:85%;
}
.pagebreak {
page-break-before: always;
}

--></style>
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Mmm, conversion ?
From what format ? To what format ? With what software ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
luthar28
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Mmm, conversion ?
From what format ? To what format ? With what software ?
Straight HTML into ePub using Calibre. I know that often times one incorrect tag can cause real problems. But I just cannot spot what I've done wrong!

Is there another html to ePub conversion program?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I take it you've used the MEDIA attribute before without any problem? I haven't had any reason to use that so don't know one way or the other, but wondering if Calibre might be barfing on it?
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Upload your CSS file to Here to check is anything is wrong...
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
luthar28
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
Upload your CSS file to Here to check is anything is wrong...
Cool page. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

However, my CSS came back clean. No ideas.

I created the ePub using Sigil (I honestly didn't know I could create one...I thought it was only for editing) and it displays just fine. Really wish I knew what the heck went wrong with Calibre though. Very bizarre.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A

< style stuff snipped>

--></style>

Because those marks mean ? (test at 6 )

The stuff between is a COMMENT
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

That's standard practice when coding a web page - stops the browser trying to interpret the CSS as HTML (though I suspect that's only something that's an issue for older browser versions). However, yes, it might well be worth removing the comment tags when coding for an ebook.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
luthar28
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

< style stuff snipped>

--></style>

Because those marks mean ? (test at 6 )

The stuff between is a COMMENT
You know it *will* be something like that...but sadly that's not the case. Hell, I've even tried linking to an external sheet but the same thing. I just can't figure it out. I remember this happened to me once before it was because there was an undeclared id tag (the whole document was wrapped in ID tag).
Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Have you tried removing media="screen"? And you are placing the whole <style> stuff inside the <head>, aren't you?

Proceed little by little. For instance, use this:

Code:
<style type="text/css">
body { color: red }
</style>
see if it works, and if it does, start adding things one by one, until you find the culprit.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #12
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Have you tried removing media="screen"?
Thanks Jellby.

/me starts to wonder if Jellby is the only one who can see her posts in this thread...!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
luthar28
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
Thanks Jellby.

/me starts to wonder if Jellby is the only one who can see her posts in this thread...!
I wasn't trying to be rude --just forgot to comment on it. Yes, that was the first thing I tried.

And as someone else suggested, I started removing every component, bit by bit and I was still getting the same result. I even started replacing it with components from successful conversions.

But I ended up making the ePub with Sigil, then doing a little manual correction of the TOC and the content.opf file and it's turned out great.

I really wish I knew what caused this for future reference...but no idea.