Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Thumbs up Kindle 3 problem: GREAT customer service from Amazon (replacement arrived)

Well, anyone else?

This is my second Kindle 3. First one, a flawless Wi-Fi only version.

Second one, a 3G + Wi-Fi, a sharp, BLACK, ugly stuck pixel, in the upper middle of the screen.

Ever squash a bug between the pages of a paperback? You turn the page and see a little flattened blob - and it's the only thing you can concentrate on while you're on that page.

Yeah, that, except you can't just flip to the next page on a Kindle. The blob is still there.

Murphy's Law: Pay for express shipping, product arrives defective.

I'll let you know what Amazon Customer Service has to say. I emailed them a few minutes ago.

Last edited by cjottawa; 10-24-2010 at 10:36 PM.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm sure that they will replace your Kindle once they've gone through the troubleshooting process.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Thumbs up UPDATE

My email yesterday evening was replied to overnight asking me to call the service number. (toll-free from Canada)

I spoke with "Josh H" in Amazon's West Virginia call-centre around 0700EDT today.

Amazon's response:
  • immediately sending me a new device, same express shipping as the last one (tomorrow or Monday delivery)
  • providing 30-days to return the defective item
  • $25 "Goodwill Refund" for return shipping because their system won't generate pre-paid international return labels

I couldn't be happier! I'll update this thread when the replacement arrives and the whole process concludes.

As an aside, when I asked if they were busy, another rep I spoke with mentioned they get a lot of calls from the UK and Australia at this time of morning and the accents were a fun experience for caller and rep.

Last edited by cjottawa; 10-14-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.

Thumbs up Update

The Kindle 3G arrived this morning!

I've had a chance to give it a look over and it's in great shape, no dead or stuck pixels that I can see.

I'm going to make a point of sending a note to Amazon praising their support staff for quick action and flawless service.

On an unrelated note, I just discovered the "Convert" subject line command when sending PDF's to a free.kindle.com address. I've emailed myself a PDF book and we'll see if it comes through in a reflowable format.

Last edited by cjottawa; 10-15-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
colinjamesfirth
colinjamesfirth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I got a group of dead pixels in my Kindle yesterday. Phoned customer service after seeing this thread (was impressed by the 'call me now' button on the support page, btw). The guy on the other end made no fuss and organised a replacement to be dispatched by first class post. Should receive it after the weekend. Very impressed.
colinjamesfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
Snakey
What would Snake do?
Snakey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Huh, didn't even know that was possible with e-ink. Nice that it worked out okay.
Snakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakey View Post
Huh, didn't even know that was possible with e-ink. Nice that it worked out okay.
that's what I was thinking.. do kindles even have 'pixels'?
never heard of this issue before but glad they exchanged it for you.
it's reassuring to hear good customer service stories.
I've done one return/one exchange of kindles myself and the process couldn't have been easier.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote