Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Khawarizmi
Khawarizmi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS - 650
access directly the table of contents of cbc converted into epub

Hi everyone,

I bought a sony reader (PRS 650) few days ago and I use it to read manga with this method:

I convert all the volume into cbz format and then I put them into a cbc file then I convert to the epub format with calibre.

But I have a problem: when I open the epub file into my reader, it takes a very long time to open because there is thousand of pages (for example with the manga One Piece, for 50 volumes there is +6000 pages).

So when I open the epub "One Piece" for example, I want him to go directly to the "table of contents" (Volume 01, Volume 02, etc...) and not in the manga.

Is it possible?

thanks.
Khawarizmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
I don't think so. I have a badly formed .epub that takes almost a minute to open. While it was opening, I pressed the OPTIONS key several times to try to select the TOC. It wouldn't.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
First step is to reduce the size of the files... split them up, they are basically too big... things also slow because internally, epubs are split into chunks around 230-60kb to operate efficiently and, each time you cross a chunk boundary, it's like opening a new book internally and, with the size of your files, this puts a noticeable overhead (time lag) into the process...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
Khawarizmi
Khawarizmi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS - 650
Okay.

I chose this method because with it the organization of the mangas in the ebook reader is very simple (You just need to create a collection "Manga" and put into it one file for "One Piece", one file for "Death Note", etc...each file is like a collection that contain the volumes).

Collection Manga:
One Piece
Death Note
etc...

Have you a method to organize like this?
Khawarizmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
No, don't read manga on my eReader... point I was making though, is eReaders choke on huge files anyway especially graphic (jpg) heavy ones...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert