Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
writing caret

Hi

A thread for a small thing. Maybe I am wrong, but I can't write properly carets (accents circonflexes) with Sigil 0.7 (Linux-64), I mean I don't succeed to put them on top of a vowel like a hat.

If it works, looks like it's a different behaviour from Sigil 0.6.

Last edited by roger64; 02-20-2013 at 05:00 PM.
roger64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Hi

A thread for a small thing. Maybe I am wrong, but I can't write properly carets (accents circonflexes) with Sigil 0.7 (Linux-64), I mean I don't succeed to put them on top of a vowel like a hat.

If it works, looks like it's a different behaviour from Sigil 0.6.
Are you using 'Insert Special Character' dialog?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Are you using 'Insert Special Character' dialog?
True, it works this way but for a French it's a workaround. It's also a first for me...

I never used this Dialog with all the previous versions of Sigil to write carets. On the French keyboard we have a touch for it. And there is nothing special about "accent circonflexe".

Last edited by roger64; 02-20-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
And there is nothing special about "accent circonflexe".
There is if your encoding is set for a language that doesn't put accents on anything.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Sigil 0.7, language preferences in Spanish and Spanish keyboard, no problem with the caret.

XP-SP3
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
There is if your encoding is set for a language that doesn't put accents on anything.
You are right, that's why I spoke about "accent circonflexe". I meant it for a French language user.

BTW, I realize it's also the same problem for "trémas" on a French keyboard, that is "umlaut" (?) in English.

On my Sigil preferences, I chose French language. There are no particular keyboard preferences I can see.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
You are right, that's why I spoke about "accent circonflexe". I meant it for a French language user.

BTW, I realize it's also the same problem for "trémas" on a French keyboard, that is "umlaut" (?) in English.

On my Sigil preferences, I chose French language. There are no particular keyboard preferences I can see.
I think (attached) Keyboard Preference is a 'System setting' in the Control Panel
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think (attached) Keyboard Preference is a 'System setting' in the Control Panel
Yes, it's system wide. So, it should work also in Sigil.

Quote:
.../... a language that doesn't put accents on anything.
Not on "anything", we are very choosy about the places where our accents are landing...

Last edited by roger64; 02-20-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
*deleted*

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-20-2013 at 07:41 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:

I generally open a blank word processor document, insert the character I want, and then copypasta it into the plain text document I'm writing in something like notepad. Or just use the character map, depending on whether one's available or not. Kubuntu noticeably lacks one.

Another thing I've done is make a scrap file and have special characters that I know I'm going to use in it. For example, if Nyx �� is going to be kicking around a story (that's �� as in Log Natural �� ), I'm going to have it where I can get to it quickly. Ditto for Nyx ∏.

The scrap file is also good for bloopers, outtakes, and stuff so good you want to use it later but don't know exactly where you'll put it.

Edit: That was supposed to be an italic e in there. Guess I should run that unicode test card thru the MR board to see what works and what doesn't? /sweatdrop
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #11
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
I generally open a blank word processor document, insert the character I want, and then copypasta it into the plain text document I'm writing in something like notepad. Or just use the character map, depending on whether one's available or not. Kubuntu noticeably lacks one.
As far as accents are concerned, the alternate Linux AZERTY keyboard (see joint screenshot) provides its users with an easy and direct typing for accented capitals (using CAPS LOCK) without any need for memorization.

This goes for example for UPPER letters like É È À Ç Ù, Æ Œ, carets Â Ê Î Ô Û, or umlauts Ä Ë Ï Ö Ü and their lower brothers (sisters), this time without CAPS LOCK.

This is why I would like to be able to use my keyboard with Sigil 07 like with previous Sigils...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clavier Xorg.png
Views:	144
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	101639  

Last edited by roger64; 02-21-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
I generally open a blank word processor document, insert the character I want, and then copypasta it into the plain text document I'm writing in something like notepad.
I usually just have a few tabs open in Firefox, and then copy/paste characters as they are needed.

This site is extremely helpful for being able to search for all unicode characters. For example, here a list of all characters with "circumflex" in them:

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...preview=entity

And/Or I have tabs open to Wikipedia, which has easy Capital/Lowercase lists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumflex
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote