Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Using a SD card.

Hi someone set a load of books up on calibre for me, around 4000, most I have never heard off and will never read. But I am curious, If I was to stick all of those on a 32 GB sd card, will it slow the Glo down ? I have seen a kindle with a 1000 books on, when you searched it locked up till it found what it needed, once the book was loaded it was fine. Would this be the case with the Kobo, once you had searched for the book, found it and loaded it, then it would run just as normal?

Also does the Kobo index books like the kindle does, i only know about this due to 2 years ago when I got my kindle keyboard, I copied a load of books on and the battery died due to the amount of work it was doing.

So far I am loving the Kobo over the kindle, few things I am unsure about but will post questions here and work around them :-)

Cheers

Ste
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stethorn View Post
Hi someone set a load of books up on calibre for me, around 4000, most I have never heard off and will never read. But I am curious, If I was to stick all of those on a 32 GB sd card, will it slow the Glo down ? I have seen a kindle with a 1000 books on, when you searched it locked up till it found what it needed, once the book was loaded it was fine. Would this be the case with the Kobo, once you had searched for the book, found it and loaded it, then it would run just as normal?

Also does the Kobo index books like the kindle does, i only know about this due to 2 years ago when I got my kindle keyboard, I copied a load of books on and the battery died due to the amount of work it was doing.

So far I am loving the Kobo over the kindle, few things I am unsure about but will post questions here and work around them :-)

Cheers

Ste
I currently have 3000, books seems to be fine for me. Though I read somewhere that the books are best kept in one directory and I have by ebookshere\author\title

The Kobo can store over 30k on a 32 gb sd card

Good luck.

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo touch I know will handle 1000 books on SD card with no problems. Kobo Glow also should easily handle 1000 books. Older software versions had problems with something over 3000 books because of all of the covers it kept in data base. Now it only loads covers into data base as needed to eliminate this problem but takes a little longer to load book listing in library page.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stethorn View Post

Cheers

Ste
After you copy the books to the Kobo and disconnect it from the computer, it will go into "Processing Content". Depending on the number of books, this can take quite a bit time. Originally, the multiple images associated with the file were generated during this stage however newer firmware now does this when the book is accessed. This has speeded up the process but still not going to win any prizes for speed. After I've done a factory reset, I reconnect the Kobo to the charger when it goes to the Processing Content with spinny. 1500 or so books being processed at one time makes me about the battery dying before the process completes.

The other issue is the process can hang on a corrupted/badly structured epub. I'd recommend not adding more than 100 books at a time just to make it easier to locate the bad book if you run into this problem.

I haven't noticed any noticeable slowdowns by having ebooks on an external SD card compared to having them on internal storage (also a SD card for most Kobo ereaders). It does make it easer to remove a corrupted book when you can connect the SD card directly to your computer to delete files.

The newest firmware will also start using the external SD card for storage when you have so many books/images on the internal storage that it is running out of free blocks.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 01-07-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Typos...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Does the SD card drain the battery much, i.e if I built up my library in a controlled way till a reached a few thousand books, would the only battery drain happen when I did a search or browsed for a book ? or would there be extra strain on the battery from just reading and being in standby ?
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert