Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Windows networking?

So any ideas as to how I can
1) see my network shares on my Windows network
2) setup the Vox so I can download files to it via WiFi from my Windows PC? I see something called Samba Networking but it talks about rooting and such so I'm a bit nervous to try that.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
There isn`t any built in way to do this. I know that Samba networking does work as I used it on my old phone but it was rooted. Check this thread for info. You need to find a program that doesn`t require the device to be rooted.

http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/99...rk-shares.html

If you can`t find a program that requires a root you are going to wait until the developer take a crack at the Vox and find a way to root it though. Rooting is usually pretty simple but you always have a chance of bricking yoru device when you do stuff like that.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
First, rooting is easily done, I've done it already on the vox. Just use gingerbreak 1.2
Second, no need to root for network. Install Astro file manager with it's SMB module or ES file explorer. Both of them can easily connect to a computer and give you a full access to all on it.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
First, rooting is easily done, I've done it already on the vox. Just use gingerbreak 1.2
Second, no need to root for network. Install Astro file manager with it's SMB module or ES file explorer. Both of them can easily connect to a computer and give you a full access to all on it.
Speaking of rooting - have you tried any overclocking on the device? Was wondering if you could get any free mhz out of it.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

I looked in setcpu, but the automatic setting only give me 800mhz max. And since we use the original kernel, any overclock would up the voltage.
The reason why the nook color is great with the overclocking is because of the kernel that the custom rom use. The kernel actually have a lower voltage curve than the normal one, and so even at stock speed it use less volt.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Install Astro file manager with it's SMB module or ES file explorer. Both of them can easily connect to a computer and give you a full access to all on it.
Ahh, that was on my todo/play list. Thanks muchly.

(At least my networking passwords aren't random. )
Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
TonyToews
Evangelist

I couldn't locate the Astro File Manager SMB module but the ES File Explorer worked just fine for browsing my Windows Network files.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:46 AM   #8
TonyToews
Evangelist

Now what about network sharing my Vox drives so I can copy files to it from my Windows PCs?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

I love astro but where's the SMB module again? I must be missing it. now If we could only get Netflix to run the video. It runs the app just fine and my lists come up... Funny I was able to stream full HD videos of the Challenge, a marketing training course...
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote