Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #61
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The font rescaling code has been changed, it now uses two inputs, the base font size and a font size key.

The font size key is a list of sizes to map the logical sizes xx-small, x-small, small, normal, large, x-large, xx-large etc to. All sizes in the document are sized proportionately by the key. If you find the high end becoming too large try setting a key that has different (I can't remember whether smaller of larger sizes on the high end).

If I remember right the SONY reader output profile by default uses the key
7.5, 9, 10, 12, 15.5, 20, 22, 24

This key has been optimized for EPUB output as going forward I'm pretty sure SONY will drop LRF. You might have to experiment a little to find the best key for your needs.
I changed the font size key list to:
7.5, 9, 10, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12 and this solved my problem. The lrf file generated by Calibre no longer has the super-sized book author and book title strings as produced by Book Designer.

I'll play with epub next. Thanks for your help, Kovid!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #62
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
I changed the font size key list to:
7.5, 9, 10, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12 and this solved my problem. The lrf file generated by Calibre no longer has the super-sized book author and book title strings as produced by Book Designer.

I'll play with epub next. Thanks for your help, Kovid!
This is pretty interesting. Is there an algorithm for the font size key if you just change the base font size? For example, if the font size key is defaulted to:
7.5, 9, 10, 12, 15.5, 20, 22, 24
then I assume the "base font size" of this key is 12. If we change the base font size to a larger or smaller number, then what happens to the key? Or would the key stay the same except for the "normal" number. This could lead to a normal size larger or smaller than the other keyed sizes.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #63
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Calibre 0.6 video presentation

I just found this video presentation on youtube:
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:42 AM   #64
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@slantybard: It's been a while since I looked at that code (it was written by llasram anyway) but IIRC the nearest size in the key becomes normal.

@Kris777: Thanks for the link, I've added it to the calibre video page
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:19 AM   #65
Angela
Angela began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Missing letter ì

Hello,sorry for my english i am italian.A strange thing happens.I have all my book in mobipocket.I put it in calibre then i convert it into epub.I read it but the letter ì is missing.I attached image and see the yellow word.Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Immaginemobi.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	33011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Immagine epub.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	33012  
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #66
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
I'm Italian too, and I experienced a similar problem converting a TXT to EPUB today: all accented letters (à, è, é, ì, ò, ù), which are unfortunately very common and widely used in Italian, are missing in the converted text.
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #67
Angela

Lo Zeno,no this is a new thing.In other version of calibre 06.16b it is ok.I am not converting txt to epub but mobi to epub and in mobi accended letters is ok.In this case only ì missing, à è ò ù is ok. Thank you
Old 07-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #68
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Angela: Opena ticket and attach the MOBI file showing this problem.

@LoZeno: You have to specify the correct input encoding when converting TXT files. Try using one of the following encodings

cp1252
cp1251
latin1
Old 07-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #69
PiAir
PiAir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX and BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@LoZeno: You have to specify the correct input encoding when converting TXT files. Try using one of the following encodings

cp1252
cp1251
latin1
And in your case you also might want to try UTF-8

Tip: if you open the TXT file in Notepad++ (free) you can easily see the encoding for the file and even change it.
PiAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #70
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur
Momo_Germany began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 (great!!) +DX, Sony PRS-505,-700,-600 (dislike!), iPad
I really waited for Version 6 and I like some of the new features (detecting two cards at the Sony Reader etc.). But for now after trying Version 6 I have to say I went back to 5.14., which is much more comfortable for me.

The rasons:

1) As some of the other users too I've problems with the font sizes in Version 6. For me it has become much more complicated than before to get an epub in a font size I like. However, somehow I think I would find a solution if I had the time to try various possibilities (but for the moment I don't have the time to do so).

2) more importantly: If I convert an ebook (epub to epub) to add a cover and make the fonts a little bit bigger with Version 6 the page-numbers of the ebook change. I can't use this, as I need a version of the books where the page-numbers stay the same as in the printed version (important for quotations etc.). Up to Version 5.14 this worked perfectly for epubs, now it doesn't work like this anymore.

3) If I do so (converting epub to epub, changing the font-size and adding a cover) the former cover-page of the ebook now is always removed by Calibre 6 automatically, although I made sure NOT to check this box in my settings. I can try whatever I want, the former cover-page now is always removed and changed into a plain page, which I absolutely don't like.

Maybe those things will be fixed in future. So far I go back to Version 5.14, which works much better for me.

By the way: When I went back to Version 5.14 after having tried Version 6 I had no possibility anymore to connect Calibre to my Calibre-library-files and I had to remove them from the folder to get Calibre 5.14 to work again). In my case that's not that bad as fortunately I only use Calibre to convert books, change the font-sizes, add covers etc. and not to organise my ebooks. But for Users who need the Calibre library function: be careful with trying out Version 6 and then possibly going back to 5.X!

However, thank you for this program and its' possibilities!

Greetings,
Momo
Momo_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #71
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Thanks a lot to Kovid and all his team...
Just made a donation to support your great job.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #72
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Momo_Germany: 2 is a regression (0.6 currently doesn't have support for page templates, while 0.5 did, you should open a ticket and attach a sample epub file). 3 is probably because your source epub file doesn't correctly identify the cover. Again open a ticket and I will see if it can be worked around.

@Kostas: Thanks!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #73
Garfunkel
Garfunkel began at the beginning.

Device: iTouch
Kovid, thanks so much for fixing the fb2 Input plugin auto created the ToC bug!
Garfunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #74
Angela

Thank you Kovid I open a ticket.This is the number Ticket #2953 (new defect)
Old 07-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #75
leebok21
leebok21 doesn't litterleebok21 doesn't litter

Device: NUUT/Dell Axim, PRS-505
PDF conversion and LRF line height

Excellent Job, Kovid.

Again, I still can not embed proper font in PDF conversion. Isn't this supported yet?

I used below code in extra CSS:

body{font-family:"Times";}

But, I don't see any font change. It seems that Calibre pick up font font automatically when it's conversion. If I delete that certain font from my Windows font folder, Calibre pick up different font for default.

Also, I have trouble to set line height in LRF conversion. In the Look & feel window, Line height does not respond to the request. Even I tried extra css as:

p {line-height: 5}

That doesn't work.

Seems like Line height function is lost in 0.6 version so far.

Any idea?
leebok21 is offline   Reply With Quote