Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #31
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Below is what you agree to with Amazon, taken directly from their site.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200399690

Use of Digital Content. Upon your payment of the applicable fees set by Amazon, Amazon grants you the non-exclusive right to keep a permanent copy of the applicable Digital Content and to view, use, and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Device or as authorized by Amazon as part of the Service and solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Digital Content will be deemed licensed to you by Amazon under this Agreement unless otherwise expressly provided by Amazon.

Restrictions. Unless specifically indicated otherwise, you may not sell, rent, lease, distribute, broadcast, sublicense or otherwise assign any rights to the Digital Content or any portion of it to any third party, and you may not remove any proprietary notices or labels on the Digital Content. In addition, you may not, and you will not encourage, assist or authorize any other person to, bypass, modify, defeat or circumvent security features that protect the Digital Content.
Seems pretty clear cut that stripping the DRM is a violation of the user agreement.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #32
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Below is what you agree to with Amazon, taken directly from their site.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200399690.
I'll ask again, why do you believe that such click-wrap agreement trumps Fair Use?

(Hint: I doesn't).
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #33
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
And I will yet again copy and paste once again my original statement....third time....

Again.... Unless someone is willing to break their licensing agreement with Amazon, and willing to break the law, they cannot read an ebook bought from Amazon on any App/Device other than those approved by Amazon. Show me in the license you agree to when you buy a book from Amazon, that I am wrong.

edit: of course I have bought books from Amazon, stripped the DRM and put them on my Sony.... I just tonight bought a book from Kobo and will strip the DRM from it, and put it on whatever device I choose (actually DS Lite... my new fav ereader). In both cases I have broke the contract (user agreement) with the company I purchased from. Some hyper sensitive legal folks (we have many on here) see that as wrong, even a crime.... I don't have a problem with it, because my morality is not based on laws/rules made by corporations or governments protecting corporations. But not everyone has the technical knowledge or "loose" moral viewpoint I have. I will state that the majority of Kindle owners , if they bought another brand of ereader (and they will eventually) would loose their library. That is really my only point.

This is now tiresome.... on to other things..... great fun though

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 03-06-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote